A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Wedding Photography

Wedding Photography

I know there have been a few topics before, but a friend and I are thinking about starting up our own 'business'. Any of you have any experience at this? If so, any tips?

watch out for bridezilla. i've heard from many photographers that they quickly got out of the wedding photog business for that reason alone.

I seem to have a problem photgraphing people outside when its not bright and sunny, the images are always dark or blurry, I see that most photgraphers use a flash, like at a wedding... Is this the key?

I did some experimenting and found that I can get ok shots using the manual exposer setting in combination with the Fstop. Other times the camera shutter just hangs open and blurs the photo.
    All out of Honey Buffers, so i grabed a few Goose Heads

most wedding photographers use an adjustable flash with a diffuser on it. This allows the light to bounce off the ceiling spreading the light across the subject matter rather than the harsh white/blue overexposure that can happen quite often. Of course, depending on the lighting conditions and ceiling height will depend on the settings that are used.

And they use nice bracketed flash mounts. Oh would I love one of those to walk around with. Pretend to be a out of a job wedding photographer bum on the streets.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Advice?
    1. have backups of every equipment--cameras,flashes,etc
    2. Always sign contracts. You'll be surpised what people would do to avoid paying
    3. Do a few weddings and see if you like it. Most photographers don't like doing weddings.

What about the first wedding, it seems that you would have to be pretty confident since it would be the persons once in a life time event.

How bad would it be if the photos didn't turn out... that would suck real bad
    All out of Honey Buffers, so i grabed a few Goose Heads

Quote Originally Posted by PCRIDE
    What about the first wedding, it seems that you would have to be pretty confident since it would be the persons once in a life time event.

How bad would it be if the photos didn't turn out... that would suck real bad

That's why your first 1-2 weddings should be free or completely free. Maybe for family members or friends. Or maybe for cheap people who think photography is overrated...This way if they turn out to be bad,they wouldn't care.

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by photography
    That's why your first 1-2 weddings should be free or completely free.
    What's the difference between "free" and "completely free"???

free is when you still charge them for expenses. Completely free is when it's ...completely free.
    Usually people will still be ok paying 20-30$ for batteries and transportation costs.

Maybe I should've put "almost free" instead to make it easier to understand.

ummm...mr/ms photography...i hope you're when you speak of batteries, i hope you mean it's for the flashes and not the actual camera. If you're shooting wedding photography with a camera that uses actual batteries...i think you better refund their money.

oh, and read some boardroom threads about doing work for family/friends...do a quick search. not a good idea for many reasons.

Ok, so Alty...are you considering the wedding photog business because you probably because it's very low overhead costs and mostly profit? With the actual amount of energy, time (dont' forget about pre-wedding cosultations and after wedding processing), and extra equipment, it may not be. You might be better off renting a space and starting a portrait studio.
    Last edited by lefteyewilly; 08-22-2007 at 11:51 PM.

think this flash will be sufficient?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...peedlight.html

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    While that is not the Be All, End All in the Nikon flash line, that seems to be a nice flash for the price.

You may want to check out http://strobist.blogspot.com/ for lighting tips using ONLY flash heads. He has some interesting ideas.

that is an awesome blog.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

No I can't do it by tommorow.. 1stbite's Avatar
    Friend of mine tried wedding photography and hated it... always some member of the family that knows better and tries to take charge when they know jack crap...

He eventually packed it in and nows does craft fairs/markets where he does portrait shots of kids in period customs or with props (large cuddly toys etc) and more recently he started doing pets.

Get the right spots to set up on and its easy cash apparently as he sends the RAWs to a third party to print, frame and post which cuts down on process time and allows him to spend more time taking the photos.
    and in a blink of an eye...
    Media and Multimedia Courses in Nottingham - First Diploma | IMedia | HND | Foundation Degrees | BA(Hons) Top Ups.

Give a Twit a chance!

Quote Originally Posted by lefteyewilly
    ummm...mr/ms photography...i hope you're when you speak of batteries, i hope you mean it's for the flashes and not the actual camera. If you're shooting wedding photography with a camera that uses actual batteries...i think you better refund their money.
    Ever seen one of these?GRIP,but yes I was talking about the flashes,not the cameras

ok, good. you're new..so i was just checking

Banned
    O this is an interesting thread. hehe

who are you?

Banned
    Just got this site , you may like it :
    http://www.wedplan.net/photographers/