A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you patent an idea

Ebay.
    Michezo Youth Initiative - donate | Into Kenya | Naked Chronicles | Mark Bingham - my friend, America's hero

To help new members fit into Flashkit, three rules they forgot to tell you on signup: Rule #1: Learn Group Think, and behave accordingly | Rule #2: Do as certain Mods say, not as they do. | Rule #3: If you're from outside the US, don't at any time criticise, allude or hyperlink to criticism of the US or any of their laws, policies or practices. | Enjoy your time at Flashkit!

Quote Originally Posted by steve worswick
    I don't see how you can patent an idea otherwise I will patent the idea of hovercars and 3D television and make a bundle when they are finally invented.
    I believe you have to provide one working example to get a patent.

Quote Originally Posted by TechNoiZ
    I wonder though .... is the copyright protection afforded by their website enough to cover the idea ..... it might be. Any competitors would have to use the internet and have to essentially offer the same service through the same medium ...... would this infringe the copyright of their (SitePal's) website?
    Patents and copyrights are two different things. Competitors would not be infringing their copyright, doing what you describe [unless they used the exact same words to sell their services].
    Last edited by FlashLackey; 08-21-2007 at 06:00 PM.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

A modular approach to ad banner creation if you like ...... where the cost (if you are getting someone else to do it) is spent almost entirely on cosmetic design, how it looks, not on the presently behind-the-scenes mechanics of how it works.
    To be honest, it's not really clear to me what you've been trying to say.

Companies with more resources are always going to have greater options than smaller ones. They are going to be more visible. That doesn't mean that smaller ones will be invisible. They just have to work a little harder to establish their niche and tailor their ad efforts. This is how it works across the board, in print, tv, etc. And why should the playing field be leveled for smaller companies when they are small for a reason? Doesn't it make sense that we see a Microsoft ad here instead of an ad for a boutique in Kansas that makes hand-made pikachu-themed slippers?

It seems like what you're saying is that you have an idea for how to offer better quality ads for less via some template or engine system. Nothing wrong with that. That's what capitalism is all about. An entrepeneur recognizes a niche as an open door and innovates some improved product.

But, to stay on topic of your question, I don't think you would be able to patent that because it would be using technologies that are already patented to be used in the way you want to. Grounds for a patent would be for a process that involves a better way to send data, view web-sites, etc. You wouldn't be introducing a new chemical compound. Rather, just a new mixture of compounds already patented.

Anyway, I think this is the case with a lot of new business ideas. Instead of looking for a patent, it's more a matter of implementing the idea first and in a smart way that will ensure you always stand out as the original and best provider of that product or service. Even if it's not patented, doing something first and well is a great advantage over future competitors.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

Thanks for that FlashLackey .... makes sense to me ....
    this[MCr.i + 'm_not_ok']._lyric = "you sing the words but you don't know what they mean";

i just patented the idea or patenting an idea.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Ah 'Cilck or press Space bar to activate this control'

I think you would find that patenting an idea is exactly what EOLAS did with their idea for embedded media...then they sued Microsoft for a squillion for infringing.

davidp
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.