A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: email in HTML format

Hybrid View

hi, i am wanting to create an email in html format (eg. shockwave.com newsletters) but am having considerable difficulty. i am using microsoft outlook with IE5. i would like to include an image at the top with simple table format below. does anyone know of a tutorial or be able to help. thanks

Not a Flash Kit Moderator
    The FlashDoctor

Keep in mind that this is a flash board, but we will still help, here is what you need to do. Set within Outlook that you want it in Rich Text instead of HTM. Then write your code. Steve Starr

html-emails

Originally posted by Mike1975
    hi, i am wanting to create an email in html format (eg. shockwave.com newsletters) but am having considerable difficulty. i am using microsoft outlook with IE5. i would like to include an image at the top with simple table format below. does anyone know of a tutorial or be able to help. thanks

use netscape-communicator (messenger) or eudora!

outlook is okay, but can´t show gifs or jpeg in the messagewindow. only as attachment.

greetings
    ralf
    [Edited by ralf.bremen@eyeland.de on 07-12-2000 at 12:30 PM]

The FlashDoctor

Tyis is actually untrue. Microsoft Outlook can set pretty much show anything. It is just a matter of tricking Microsofts product. What you need to do is add a signature to your email. In this signature is a few strands of HTML. What you need to do is make a live URL reference avalable for the image, or file. If you do not know how to do this, I can post the Code. Then give the coding a dDIV tag that will specify the height and width. This way it is basically opening up a transparent window within Outlook at the bottom of your page. Then jsut select your saved HTML file and add that as your signature. Hope this helps, Cheers, Steve

Flashing Goddess
    This tells you how, as well as browser-specific issues to keep in mind:
    http://www.ivillage.com/click/expert...ard/articles/0,5639,61690-3,00.html

The FlashDoctor

Sorry Design Grrl,
    That link is dead. He got the problem fixed too. Thanks though, its great that we can have lots of people responding to these posts. Steve

thanks heaps

cheers everyone for the help, we now have a pretty good signature on our business emails. have picked up several jobs yesterday creating ones for other businesses too! cheers stevestar for the help.

Flashing Goddess
    Originally posted by stevestarr
    Sorry Design Grrl,
    That link is dead.
    It's still alive... For some reason the link didn't cover the entire address, so just select the line of text, copy and paste in your browser:
    http://www.ivillage.com/click/experts/webwizard/articles/0,5639,61690-3,00.html

The FlashDoctor

The reason for that impartial link was due to the "," Steve

html e-mail

Steve, I'm not completely following you. Can you post the code involved.

Thanks

Originally posted by stevestarr
    Tyis is actually untrue. Microsoft Outlook can set pretty much show anything. It is just a matter of tricking Microsofts product. What you need to do is add a signature to your email. In this signature is a few strands of HTML. What you need to do is make a live URL reference avalable for the image, or file. If you do not know how to do this, I can post the Code. Then give the coding a dDIV tag that will specify the height and width. This way it is basically opening up a transparent window within Outlook at the bottom of your page. Then jsut select your saved HTML file and add that as your signature. Hope this helps, Cheers, Steve