A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Virgo vs. DaVulf | Destruction, cocoons and rascals...

Virgo vs. DaVulf | Destruction, cocoons and rascals...

That's right. Stepping back into the Arena, in something more than an Open Battle. I think I've cleaned up my act a little bit enough to join the novice competition. So the rules:
    • Size: 800 x 600
    • No Rotation
    • Must re-use element of previous entry
    • 3 rounds
    • 1-2 day turn over, let's not rush ourselves
    • There's no running away on this one

As always I'm looking forward to your constructive criticism, so don't let me down. Or just tear me a new one
    Last edited by ViRGo_RK; 08-24-2007 at 07:38 PM.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

I would welcome you to the Arena... but you've been here Virgo...

Glad you decided to join us, Virgo. Allow me to bring back the "art" of constructive criticism as well...

The green tint on the tree sets off the man in a cocoon image - seen that somewhere else, haven't I? - but it would have played better in your hands to have kept that tree a wooden color and then perhaps masked out the back ground and left it as a green-ish depth of field look.

The horizontal stripe does what you wanted it to do... pull the eyes down, focus on the head of the man, and then finish with the text. I just think that you could have placed that part of the stripe either behind the tree or at least have worked it in a way that doesn't divide the bottom image, but adds to it instead.

The text contrasts in a good manner, I'd risk to say that you could have done the top script part not so spread apart and created more impact with it being stacked the way that it was...

Overall, quite a good starting image. I'd love to see what happens next dude.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

As always I appreciate the crits. For the record the stock photo actually has the trees that green tint, I didn't change it from a wooden color. It's actually under a huge cave-like canopy with a bunch of light dumping in, hence the color.

I definitely agree with the text part, I had done the spread out effect when I wasn't going with a script font on the top to start with. In this case I probably should have right-aligned it with the bottom "Change".

Hope someone is willing to accept over the weekend, don't let me down arena.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.

Hmmm....
    A few nit pics.
    The greenish tint to the forrest stock should have been carried across to the cocoon man, as it is: while your blending on the lighting is pretty damn good as well as the blending in terms of depth; the contrast in colour makes him look a little "floated", having that "cut & paste" effect; which spoils it for me.
    I really like the horizontal lines you've added, and agree with gerbs that it draws your eye down the image. Your colour selection on those are perfect.
    The font: personally Im not too keen on the font selection or the stark white fill. Then again, Im no font expert.
    However, I'd like to have seen a softer font choice and perhaps a goldish, warm colour for the fill. Perhaps you could have used one of the more yellow / gold colours from the butterfly wings on the figure's back?

Having said that though: I really like this, the idea is solid and you've brought across an almost wistful emotion. Your blending and depth are wonderfully done. Good work! I'll be watching this one.
    Now if I could just get gerbs & jwin's damn battle to load images!

Glad you guys are stepping up

it's dead around here right now... My pc's screwed and Im starting a new job in less than a week.
    Sorry.

I saw you trying to pimp me out over in JWin's thread, I appreciate it

Virgo... I think your image looks great!

I'd love to take you up on the challenge, but I too am starting a new job on Tuesday and have 4 web projects going on the side...

I hope somebody takes you up on it though. I nominate lefty... he's not doing anything...

-Sandy
    Sigs R4 Suckers! Wait... I mean.... nevermind...

The point was kind of to get a battle in before school starts for me.... Sep 4. Maybe I'll just lock it up and bring it out again when I'm free because I know I won't be as soon as that date hits.

sorry, can't do it, sandy. too busy. If i wasn't, i would definitely get back in the ring.

chicken

Nah I'm just messin' with ya... Looks like it's that time for everyone...

Nice serve anyway, virgo!
    Sigs R4 Suckers! Wait... I mean.... nevermind...

Just a quick one. I haven't made a volley in ages. Wanted to put a little more into this, but I just didn't have the time.

I don't know if I can stick to the 1-2 day turnaround but I can try.

Flash has been kind enough to point out that the image I used was actually from a game called Fallout 3. I thought it looked a little like a game, but I just thought it was a perfect stock (off of Google).

In any event, I messed around with levels, hue, contrast, and adde the text with the broken sign.

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/images/a.../screen04B.jpg

Hope that clears anything up.

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten you.
    Just squeezing what's left out of summer. I just got hit with some inspiration, hunting down some stocks now.

Quote Originally Posted by ViRGo_RK
    • 1-2 day turn over, let's not rush ourselves
    • There's no running away on this one
    Now it has been a little more than 2 days. I figured this would be over in a week, and you've really let this one drag. I am still game to finish, but I've got to have a little more time as I'm now back to the grind at school, and I'm going through recruiting, so that takes time as well.

What say you?

Well I'm hardly in any position to be picky time wise, as I myself was swept along with the opening of school etc. Time management has always been my weakness if that wasn't apparent. I don't know why I keep trying if I can't dedicate the time, I'd love to continue I'll try and bang something out within the next few days. I understand your constraints as well, again I apologize for my lack of attention despite my promising words from the start.