A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Actionscript syntax highlighting

Actionscript syntax highlighting

How is it that we have a highlighted [php] bbcode block, a generic [code] block, but no actionscript!? The site is dedicated to flash after all.

I remember shortly after FK's launch you could use [as] which included highlighting. I've never understood why it went away and always assumed there was a very good reason.

I for one really miss it and I think since the majority of the newbs asking AS questions are still using the authoring tool, it makes sense to make FK familiar territory.

If it's a simple style sheet or include for the site just point me in the right direction and I'd be happy to whip one up. It's time for a come back.

the only action script highlighting that we had wouldn't work with the last two versions of the forum software. We haven't yet found a suitable replacement that works with this version.

No way to duplicate the php module eh? Like I said, I'd be willing to put some time into it if you guys are open to the idea. It's really a shame for the best flash community out there to not be able to offer that.

What would be the difference? It would still show the same color coding, so might as well use the PHP tags. Besides, I'm still hoping for a better solution than that. We have tried the geshi plug-in on another forum, but it's not so terrific. We've had nothing but complaints about it. You can't even copy and paste code because it saves no formatting, not even linebreaks.

I guess my only complaint is that it says PHP like this:

PHP Code:
    _root.onEnterFrame = function(){
      if(
    bytesLoaded >= bytesTotal){

delete _root.onEnterFrame;
      }

And since the majority of questions in the actionscript room are from newer users, I just see it as possibly confusing. Plus I really liked how the old [as] tags used the same default highlighting colors as the authoring tool. I just think it would make users feel at home. Also in the case of an answer that required snippets of actionscript and php, it would be clearly defined what was what.

The lack of it doesnt prevent us from being helpful, its just a cleanliness thing that bugs me.

I'm sure it would, unfortunately that was for vBulletin version 2.x . It didn't work with the last two versions.