dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: just voicing a thought

Hmmmm......What I don't understand is simply compiling all these individual movies and put them into a cohesive web site. I mean...how the hell do you size the thing the right way. If i have one main movie....and I am using load movie a lot....then I've got to make sure the loaded movies are the perfect size.....so that they'll fit in nicely. You know? It's very difficult to do. HMMMMmmmmm.....Well.....I'm having a rough time with it...that's all. I'd like to get some advice on this. Is using multiple scenes the best way....or is it using a bunch of tell targets...or is loading movies the trick. Help.

Load movie is usually the method you'll want to go to but you don't have to fret over the sizing of the loaded movie if you use the load into location feature.

What you need is a blank or filler movie clip which is the same size, exactly, of the movie you want to load. Then you load your swf choosing the instance name of this filler movie clip as the target for the loaded movie instead of assigning a level number.

Wherever you position this filler clip is where your loaded movie clips will load.

It's that simple. Just make sure the swf's you're loading are exactly the same size as the filler clip otherwise the swf's you laod will distort to whatever size the filler clip is.

Hope this helps.

yes.....but...how do I size a movie clip? I can size the entire movie. but how do I do it to a movie clip???? You know??? Thanks.

Alrighty...

I must be a bit confused about what you want to accomplish.

To size a movie clip you would just use the scale function but I don't think that's what you mean.

You were talking about using the load movie action before - if you're talking about resizing a loaded movie then you could do that with actionscript but I think you're better off resizing the filler movie clip and then loading into location or target as I had previously mentioned.

If that doesn't help then I don't know what you want.

So give me some more detail.

so...

so let me get this straight. I have a movie that I want to be loaded... it is of a certain size. I can put that movie into a movie clip and it will automatically resize itself to fit the movie clip? But how do I determine the size of the movie clip? If I create a new symbol and give it the movie clip behavior.....it gives me no control over how big the thing is. or do I put the movie clip on the stage and scale it to whatever size I want?

That would make sense....but with an empty movie clip that is awaiting a loaded movie.....there is nothing to scale.

Thanks for you help.