A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash Kiosk Reliability

Flash Kiosk Reliability

Hi,

I'd like to ask if anyone who has experience with creating a kiosk app can give me some feedback on reliability. How long will a presentation run before one can expect hangs or crashes?

In my case I've created a small shell that loads 30 swfs ..(1-30 mb)...in and out...using "this.unload movie" at the end of each swfs timeline.

I've searched around and can't seem to find much info on what to expect once this is installed...Will it run 24/7 or do we need to daily restart WinXP? How do I advise my customer to manage the system?

If anyone can advise me or point me to a resource I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
    As always, THANKS!

I think it should all depend on how you create the movie.

if you program if good/clean where there is no 'rampant' code running.. an you clear all loops/onEnterFrames..etc..

it should be fine.

When you say 'kiosk' your just going to be launching the .exe...right?

1-30 MB is pretty HUGE for external content.. if video think about using netStream/netConnect or the MovieClipLoader class..

but being this i 'off-line' content..Im not sure if size is really a factor.

Kiosk

Thanks for the input...

Yes, I did an .exe that is a directory...click on one of 30 buttons and it loads a swf in a new layer...runs it...they're slide shows with jpegs...the larger ones have i minute embedded video...then unloads it revealing the directory...

I guess my questions refer to memory management bugs, windows bugs...that sort of thing...what to watch out for...

Like I said, I haven't found much in the way of references on this type of deployment. They would love it if we could just "set it and forget it"...but I'm leery of advising that. Is it reasonable to expect one of these to run for a week without problems?
    As always, THANKS!

There is really no telling, unless looking at ow the code works I would think..

BUT,... I will move this to the Standalone & Applications forum, where they specialize in .exe stuff and have the most experience with it.

Student
    I guess my questions refer to memory management bugs, windows bugs...that sort of thing...what to watch out for...
    dont count or add variables without resets or checks - like sleeping on your keyboard will result in endless character inputs in your open application - so will endless counted variables fall into memory shortage.

perhaps remove all variables at the beginning of each interval your movie replays or restarts- like a reset or init function that removes or resets all variables.

Kiosk issues

Hi,

This is pretty straightforward...no variables, just a button that loads a movie which runs it's timeline and then unloads.

So so far I haven't heard anyone raise any global red flags about the Flash/WinXP environment...which is more or less what I assumed going into this.

Thanks for the feedback and if anyone else has an interest I will look at the other forum.
    As always, THANKS!

Kiosk reliability

Hi,

I see a number of folks have looked at this post and not contributed, so I thought I'd jump in one more time...I'm encouraged by the lack of interest, but I thought I'd toss this in...I'm thinking of advising the user to reboot their machine once a week..they are open 7 days a week...as a "routine maintenance" to clear memory, etc...with the hope that no problems arise...and then if all goes well, go to two weeks and so on...

Does anyone have a comment about this strategy?
    As always, THANKS!

Student
    1st I dont think that Kiosk systems are the most hot typic in Flashkit- so dont to much

you can setup the windows scheduler to manage reboots and always put the exe or application in the autorun folder. That way it will go almost automaticly

I still feel you are placing the emphasis on the WRONG topic.. if you worry about coding your 'FLASH PROJECT' correctly... you wont have problems.

Worrying about the OS & machine (IMHO) is wasted energy...

Reliability...

Hi,

Thanks for the comment on scheduling reboots. I will definitely look into that.

I think my code is pretty clean and simple, so I guess what I'm really looking for was some feedback about this type of deployment since it's my first project. At any rate, it's out there now and I'll be monitoring it.

Thanks to everyone who commented.
    As always, THANKS!

What have you learned ?

I would to know what you learned from using Flash for Kiosk applications ? Any words of advice that could benefit us ?

Google never forgets ;-) High ranked for reliability, kiosk and flash

I thought it might be a good idea to ask the user how his project went. What do you think ? Seems like you have a guenuine interest in all that. I am flattered.

Flattered by what again? (so Im clear)

if you wanted to 'talk' to that member you cold have PM'd him directly.instead of digging up a 1.5 yr old thread... dont ya think?

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    Hi PhilGo20, moderators (see whispers appears in bold) are supposed to take a genuine (borderline unholy) interest in people reviving really old threads. Usually because only spammers and n00bz like to do it General forum etiquette dictates that you start a new thread and just include a link to the old thread. With 25 posts in 6 years, mediaartist is probably dead or retired now anyway

I totally agree. I should have checked the forum a little more before posting, my bad. Will start a new thread thanks.