A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: In Iran, we don't have homesexuals

In Iran, we don't have homesexuals

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmadinejad
    In Iran we don't have homosexuals like you do in your country. We do not have this phenomenon. I don't know who told you that we have it."
    He's not only smart, he also have good sense of humor.

I was thinking if Saddam's still alive today, then we have these two people stealing news all over the world.
    "Long live fk'ers, keep fk'ing."

It got a big laugh from the audience didn't it?

My first reaction was to bristle at the idea of this guy getting a forum in the US. But, as it turns out, it couldn't have gone better. He made it more clear than ever to more people that he is a complete 164-piece toolbox.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

what's wrong with this quote, again?
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

Grandfather to the stars bigginge's Avatar
    Reminds me of a line from the old comedy show Soap: "We don't have homos in Texas. Leastways, not live ones".
    To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
    Love Light Romania Romania Blog

Quote Originally Posted by realMakc
    What?

Iran has an estimated population of 65-million. Do you think it's possible that there isn't at least one person who is homosexual? Mr. Mahmoud doesn't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by realMakc
    Just replace gay with whoever you happen to be to see the problem.
    See I deal with men and women in this forum most every day, and their race, colour or sexuality is never considered, as it has no relevence to our conversation, so surley you can understand that it is equally of no importance should we ever meet.

is he for real?!

i mean, does he actually believe that? or does he just want others to believe it??

how lovely it must be to be gay and iranian

Have you guys never been to middle eastern countries? The concept of homosexuality does indeed not exist in most of them. If it does, it's rarely spoken of, and it's suppressed as some sort of extremely erratic sin. I don't see anything wrong with what he's trying to say, I just don't like how he said it.

You really need to pop out of your bubble where you expect to see everything that YOU think is "the norm" in your part of the world, in every other part of the world as well. Only then will you see what he means.

not sure how you can misconstrue what he said. he didn't say "people aren't openly gay in iran" or anything like that. he categorically stated that there are no gay people in iran. this is not true.

i do know (very well) that opinions and attitudes towards homosexulaity are very different in many parts of the world to those in the UK and other parts of the western world, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. gay people exist pretty much wherever people exist!
    Last edited by carly1979; 09-26-2007 at 06:55 AM.

Yes, but the phenomenon doesn't exist there, so to speak. It's so taboo, you might as well say that no such person exists, and it'll be just as good as there really being no one as such. It's hard to explain, but do you get my drift here?

I know what you're saying, and I agree, homosexuals ARE everywhere. They DO exist. But to him, it's like he's a simpleton, their minds are brainwashed for the concept to not even exist.

Peace - Just in Heaven koolbabs2000's Avatar
    Yes, but the phenomenon doesn't exist there, so to speak. It's so taboo, you might as well say that no such person exists, and it'll be just as good as there really being no one as such. It's hard to explain, but do you get my drift here?

I know what you're saying, and I agree, homosexuals ARE everywhere. They DO exist. But to him, it's like he's a simpleton, their minds are brainwashed for the concept to not even exist.
    - Yes, what you say is right. Its a big taboo !!!
    An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind
    - The Mahatma.

Quote Originally Posted by zakp0
    So is drinking alcohol... but it still happens. Denial is also strong in those regions.

Been there, yes I have. There's a lot of things that are suppressed to high level; but that's straight denial.

This... I can agree with.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Yeah, I think what I said in the second statement is more what I meant. If I heard how he'd said it, or his motive behind saying it, I probably would've been able to tell if he's simply in denial, or he just doesn't know any better.

Edit: Drinking alcohol? Where is that taboo at all?

yeah, i think i know what you're saying. i know it is a big taboo in many (all?) middle-eastern countries, but to deny it's existence just seems odd.

Quote Originally Posted by zakp0
    Edit: Drinking alcohol? Where is that taboo at all?
    Erm... have you been to those countries? Alcohol is verboten.

Intoxicants were forbidden in the Qur'an through several separate verses revealed at different times over a period of years. At first, it was forbidden for Muslims to attend to prayers while intoxicated (4:43). Then a later verse was revealed which said that alcohol contains some good and some evil, but the evil is greater than the good (2:219). This was the next step in turning people away from consumption of it. Finally, "intoxicants and games of chance" were called "abominations of Satan's handiwork," intended to turn people away from God and forget about prayer, and Muslims were ordered to abstain (5:90-91). (Note - the Qur'an is not arranged chronologically, so later verses of the book were not necessarily revealed after earlier verses.)

In the first verse cited above, the word for "intoxicated" is sukara which is derived from the word "sugar" and means drunk or intoxicated. That verse doesn't mention the drink which makes one so. In the next verses cited, the word which is often translated as "wine" or "intoxicants" is al-khamr, which is related to the verb "to ferment." This word could be used to describe other intoxicants such as beer, although wine is the most common understanding of the word.

Muslims interpret these verses in total to forbid any intoxicating substance -- whether it be wine, beer, gin, whiskey, or whatever. The result is the same, and the Qur'an outlines that it is the intoxication, which makes one forgetful of God and prayer, which is harmful. Over the years, the list of intoxicating substances has come to include more modern street drugs and the like.
    There. You should know that. And to deny that alcohol consumption does indeed happen... childish. I've had the best wine while in some muslim countries.

This guy reminds me that we've got an epidemic of stupid leaders. US, AUS, and now this dude.

*places fingers in ears... lalalalalalalala.... I don't hear you... lalalalalalalala*

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Quote Originally Posted by carly1979
    he categorically stated that there are no gay people in iran. this is not true.
    do you personally know any gays from Iran?
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

Well, I'm sure there are very few openly homosexual people in Iran - or the Middle East for that matter. It's kind of hard to organize a Gay Pride parade when there's a very real chance of being slaughtered.

~Cally~

[URL Removed - Please do not spam the boards with your URL. Do so again and your site will be added to the ever growing list of sites that we block already] - gerbick (supermod)

I'm curious if anyone has come across an unedited/unbiased/full version of his lecture. I'd really be interested in hearing everything he had to say instead of clips of his most controversial or easiest to attack points made. A link would be appreciated. I tried looking on the interweb with no success.
    mmm signature

realMakc- no not personally. i don't actually personally know anyone from iran, despite having very breifly visited there years ago.

you about to tell me they don't exist?