A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [beta] Vector

FK founder & general loiterer Flashkit's Avatar

[beta] Vector

Woohoo, I've finally got my game to a beta stage, and would love a bit of bug bashing!

http://www.markfennell.com/flash/vector/vector.html

there is no preloader yet or high scores... (I havent learnt that in as3 yet!)

Big thanks to Vengence for enlightning me to the art of copypixels, and to mr_malee, squize and xploder (plus those I missed in that thread!) whose whole geowars grid thread motivated me into thinking hey I can make one of them....

Hey squize.... Now you got to make your one better.... and what pisses me off... is you will

I know on some players it only shows a blank starfield... Id love to know what browser, player version and os that happens on.
    Regards Mark Fennell - Flash Kit Founder, general loiterer
    -------------------------------
    I Hate Zombies - iPhone Game | markfennell.com

I can't even see a Flash window this time (just the dark blue page bg). It's progressivly getting worse for me with each update, yet I want to play it more and more each time .

Currently using IE on Windows XP, with Flash player 9.0.47.0

Viza.

But it still fills prams ivorsmallun's Avatar
    Same here not even a Flash window...

Want to play mummy...

Ivorsmallun...

Nice work mate. The graphics are stunning, gameplay is fun and overall it's very solid. I didn't notice any bugs in the 20-30 minutes I was playing. I did struggle a bit with the controls, however. I found it rather difficult aim at times as it turned too fast, but when I needed to make a quick getaway I felt it turned too slow... Then again, I always sucked at keyboard based asteroid type games for pretty much that same reason. (someone needs to make a mouse aimed asteroid clone one of these days )

btw: I think I missed the geowar thread you mentioned, got a link?

EDIT: FP 9.0.64.0, XP, Firefox here and working A-OK, if that helps
    Last edited by DancingOctopus; 10-18-2007 at 08:31 AM.

Aesthetically, it's very cool, but there were a few things I would change...

I'd like to see some kind of reverse thruster in the game.

It might be cool if when the asteroids collided with each other they shot out a bunch of small sparks toward each other.

I don't know why, but the game plays kind of slow...there's more chasing after easily defeated enemies and accidentally bumping into rocks than trying to survive. I guess it just didn't feel challenging enough. I don't really know.

You do have the start of a great game here though, I'm looking forward to the final product.

EDIT: have to say I'm jealous, it takes me a year to get four posts, you got four in ten minutes of each other ...

i really like the thruster particles- very cool. and the object bound health bars are great...

Very nice work mate, looks great.

Love the big particles, they're nice and violent, and the collisions / bounces work perfectly.

In terms of gameplay, I'm guessing you gave even the normal baddies energy to compensate for not running too many at once ( On the early levels at least ), but personally I'd like to see the emphasis pushed to the rocks as the big hard bad guys, and keep the other baddies easy to take out, but keep respawning them.
    So in a way the baddies become irritants getting in the way of you doing the primary job of taking down the rocks.

It's slightly chore like atm where everything takes so many hits to die. No matter what you do asteroids movement is never the easiest to control, so in a way to compensate for that a couple of nice easy kills would be good. It gets more particles flying around, and it'll just increase the whole tempo of the game.

I feel a bit churlish mentioning that, it's just that it's so good but not quite there for me. If it's a 5 min thing just to half all the power for the baddies, or double the player's bullet's power then just give it a quick go and see how it plays. It may just be my personal preference with a shoot 'em up and it may suck that way.

Thanks for the kind words too mate, you have made my life a lot harder with this game

Squize.

Developer
    I'm so impressed im lost for words (almost)!

Beautiful retro style graphics and I love the explosions of the rocks!! Brilliant! This has spurred me on to speed up the development on my game!

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    I agree with pretty much all that Squize said. I really like the game, the particles are nice and it’s obviously well made and solid. There is just something about the gameplay that doesn’t feel quite right to me though. It may just be that this is more of an asteroids game than an arena shmup, and asteroids has never been my favourite game, but I agree that perhaps just reducing the health of the baddies might make it more enjoyable, especially at the start when it takes way too long to kill the enemies.

The only other thing I thought could be improved was the powerups. Standard powerups like you have are all good, but they get a bit boring after the 4th upgrade. I like to see different weapon types and cool new effects when I get an upgrade.

I don’t mean to sound too negative though. I did really enjoy the game once things got going. I think it just needs that extra push though to make it perfect . Fantastic work so far.

Ali

Game Player - Developer scheletro's Avatar
    I cant see anything on the link

"I love to make them as I love to play them"

It looks good Flashkit.

Again, I agree with Squize and how the gameplay needs a little more action. I think you should try experimenting in changing the players laser (or whatever it be) to something a least more visually rewarding. Right now it feels a little like shooting bb's at a tank. I would also suggest a different sound effect for the player, that current was a tad repetitive.

But seriously, it looks awesome and is quite entertaining, you just may want to add the "mania" more.

This is awesome.
    The thruster and explosions are great.

I think the energy bars on the asteroids are unnecessary. If the asteroids gave more feedback when they got shot (flashing + sound), then I don't think the energy bar would be missed.

Basically what everyone else is saying. Looks nice but the controls are sluggish and it feels like it needs a bit more. I'd like to be able to turn faster and use reverse thrust - that way I could try to do more manoeuvring.

It's true..I brought sexy back smith1302's Avatar
    looks great. The thrust particles look cool and just the whole atmosphere is great

terrific job.
    Hey check out my arcade sites!
    Ninja Games | WW2 Games

thanks for the feedback, its given me a few options...

1) Ill increase the player shot strength.. and reduce the volume of the bullet.
    2) Ill add a reverse thruster, as Ive had that comment a few times now so it sounds like a winner.
    3) Ill also add a speed turning powerup that will double the turning speed....
    4) reduce enemy energy and make them respawn.... continuously muhahahaha
    5) for my own reference... volume on and off!

Then Ill focus on version 2!

which will have keyboard AND mouse control options!

Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciated.
    Its my first as3 game so Im slowly building a library of code stuff to use.

Just played it again and it's much better on the later levels than the first few. The action really picks up and it becomes very fun.

I think putting some further difficulty into the earlier level would be great, I lost interest the first time and never got into the less boring stuff.

EDIT: perhaps you uploaded a new version right before you posted? your post was not there when I clicked on the link.

yeah the first couple of levels are warm up levels... but I might drop a couple o fthem to get into the action so to speak . Nice tip.

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    Great effects!! But no reverse??? That's lame.

reverse added

I dunno why everyone's asking about reverse, it's asteroids guys, like sex it's just rotate and thrust.

Squize.