A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: rundll32.exe 100% CPU usage problem!!!

rundll32.exe 100% CPU usage problem!!!

Every now and then (but at least once a day) my CPU will suddenly max out with a process called rundll.exe. Done a web search and info ranges from "this is a core Windowns process" to "this could be a trojan". Can't shut it off manually, can only stop CPU max by rebooting.

Any ideas??
    Michezo Youth Initiative - donate | Into Kenya | Naked Chronicles | Mark Bingham - my friend, America's hero

To help new members fit into Flashkit, three rules they forgot to tell you on signup: Rule #1: Learn Group Think, and behave accordingly | Rule #2: Do as certain Mods say, not as they do. | Rule #3: If you're from outside the US, don't at any time criticise, allude or hyperlink to criticism of the US or any of their laws, policies or practices. | Enjoy your time at Flashkit!

--===00OO00===--
    Turn off automatic updates via by going to the run bar. Typing in 'msconfig' then search around till you find automatic updates and disable it.

Thats what mine did, thats how I fixed it. The Indians that answer the help phone don't know jack about the problem.

You are xp right?
    "For an assassin he...he is pretty nice." ~The Darkness that Comes Before

The Catalyst Corp.

Yep, XP.

So does switching off automatic updates mean I'll have to remember to do it manually every so often? And how often would you recommend?
    Michezo Youth Initiative - donate | Into Kenya | Naked Chronicles | Mark Bingham - my friend, America's hero

To help new members fit into Flashkit, three rules they forgot to tell you on signup: Rule #1: Learn Group Think, and behave accordingly | Rule #2: Do as certain Mods say, not as they do. | Rule #3: If you're from outside the US, don't at any time criticise, allude or hyperlink to criticism of the US or any of their laws, policies or practices. | Enjoy your time at Flashkit!

--===00OO00===--
    In order to install updates, you have to have automatic updates on...(Automatic or manual...don't ask me. You just gotta.)

In order to keep automatic updates on you have to deal with the 100% CPU usage...Which if you've noticed stabilizes after about 6-8 hours.

You can turn it off. Then once or twice a month turn it on again and leave you comp on overnight like I did so you can get the updates.

*Edit* But first try it, see if that's your issue. A few things can cause that, but the one I mentioned is the most common.
    Last edited by Eleniatari; 10-18-2007 at 10:44 AM.

The Catalyst Corp.

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    and you want to be able to choose and install your own o/s
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleniatari
    *Edit* But first try it, see if that's your issue. A few things can cause that, but the one I mentioned is the most common.
    Yeah, that's done the trick.

But like you said, from what I've read there could be other issues: trojan, Thikpad update issue ...etc. But since I'm looking for a solution that can take me through the next 3 months only maybe I'll live with this one...

--===00OO00===--
    Nah, what happened was your automatic update scan, thats supposed to run in the background and check your updates vs the servers got corrupted and now uses abnormal amounts of CPU. Basically, it developed a serious leak. No real way to fix it outside of a reinstall.

And yes, that fix will work for as long as you want it to.

The Catalyst Corp.

I reinstalled my OS yesterday when I first couldn't get rid of the problem.

Thanks!

there is actually a patch out from microsoft.

Elentari you might as well tell him cause he cant read my posts anymore.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

--===00OO00===--
    Honestly, it was 8 months ago that it happened to me. I haven't seen a patch in that time. If you wanna give me the link I'll pass it on or he can look for it himself.

The Catalyst Corp.

--===00OO00===--
    Nice try, thats for SCVHost.dll. :P But, he can check it out anyways, may just work.

The Catalyst Corp.

its the same issue, just a differnt process. it fixed the computer it happened to here.

--===00OO00===--
    I know, I was just harasing you.

The Catalyst Corp.