dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting Variable Value from Embed Code not Working

Will moderate for beer
    Good. Now, with the try/catch re-enabled, try passing the entire url as the sourceFLV.
    <param name="FlashVars" value="sourceFLV=http://www.sjpn.net/VIDEOS/FOOTBALL100607/FB100607.flv" />

Doesn't work.

When I add the bit
    Code:
    'FlashVars', 'sourceFLV=url
    (url is the url to the video, didn't feel like typing it up in here) the swf never loads, much less the FLV part.

When I dispose of the whole javascript part and add a parameter to the object it loads the swf but doesn't load the flv.

Will moderate for beer
    The first part is indicative of a javascript error. If you go to the page with firefox, you should be able to see what the particular error was by opening the javascript console (under tools). It was probably a mismatched quote or something like that.

For the second, I don't know what to tell you, other than you really need to know what flashvars are getting into the movie. You can adapt the example I posted above, which should create a little textbox with all params listed in name:value pairs.

Uh, I got it working.

I don't know what was wrong before, but I copied your embed code and modified it to fit my SWF, changed names of things, and now it works!

Thanks alot for your help, if I knew you I'd take you out to lunch or something but unfortunately all I can offer you is my thanks.

thanks to 5TonsOfFlax from me as well

I just wanted to also extend my thanks to 5TonsOfFlax... I've been having the exact same problem with loading FlashVars using AS3 for awhile, and this is the clearest, most effective explanation I've been able to find online.

Thanks for your continued patience with jbartus' questions (and thanks to jbartus for asking them). This thread should be very helpful to a lot of people.

Take care,
    Todd (thestark)

baung
    This is very useful... thanx zillion 5TonsOfFlax... me also facing the same problem and now is working very fine and everybody is happy here in Malaysia