dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Can a movieclip have multiple masks?

Can a movieclip have multiple masks?

It doesn't appear that I can do:

mc.setMask(mask1);
    mc.setMask(mask2);
    mc.setMask(mask3);

(the last mask is the only one that will work)

I'm trying to create a kind of Venetian blinds effect...There is a grid of movieclips, each clip has a front and a back. At a mouse click, the front does a rotating card flip effect, and I want the backside of each clip to be a mask for a larger movieclip.

You can't set multiple masks on a movie clip. Either put all the animation in one clip or set them one after another - ie. mask 1 animates, set mask 2, mask 2 animates etc.

Sub Movies

On a timeline I have solved this problem by making sub movies. So I make one mask on the movie timeline, then select other items to be masked and F8 them into a movie and mask that, and then select other items to mask and F8 them into a movie. When you play the main movie you have the equivalent of multiple masks. You can also mask groups of layers in the movie with individual masks, then group all those into one movie on the timeline, ad a layer and then mask that.

I'm sure you could utilize this method using ActionScript.

Yeah, that sounds like a good solution. Would've liked mutliple clips on different layers doing this, but I can understand why that would be a problem runtime wise.

OK I have a question along the same lines. Let's say I create an empty movieclip, and then fill it up with a grid of small clips, so:

maskClip = _root.createEmptyMovieClip("maskClip", 10);
    (for loop filling maskClip with other clips)

stageClip.setMask(maskClip);

What if I want to punch holes in maskClip to show only part of stageClip? It doesn't appear that this works:

maskClip.childClip4._visible = false;