A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: [WIP] Flash quake/descent style renderer.

Asymptotically I can't see how you'd do any better than linear complexity in the number of visible polygons. You can certainly do worse. This code actually does a little worse because the complexity is linear in the number of polygons referenced by visible sectors, a bigger set. However I would hazard a guess that most other flash 3d engines (alternativa excluded) have frustum culling and backface culling but no occlusion culling. So they're higher still.

I would guess that the observations you've had without other engines (that they seem insensitive to size of the input) is more because they are doing some other large constant O(1) operation that is hiding the small constant O(N) complexity of drawing their triangles. Things like screenspace filtering, stage quality settings, motion blur... that kind of stuff. I try not to do that stuff very much. (Only the transparency textures, underwater distortion and zbuffer composition are those kinds of operations, and they were profiled and implemented carefully).

With the drawing turned off, the code (which is then just a physics simulation) will run very fast (100-200 fps+). When you shoot some grenades or whatnot, then it'll drop again. Nothing in life is free I guess

alternativa does not have occlusion culling, everything in frustum is drawn there back-to-front according to bsp. they did some experiments behind the scenes, but it's not in public release.
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

Also, away3d has occlusion culling. I'm not too sure if it's just for specific planes you define to use for culling, or if it's automatic.

And I consider Alternativa to be sort of cheating, since they don't use pure Flash...

P.
    WIP-ZOMBIES

I love vegetarians! More meat for the rest of us!

they don't use pure Flash
    what?

I can't find it now after looking for quite some time, but I sweat that I read somewhere a couple months ago that Alternativa relies on something external to Flash...

I'm sorry, if you know it's inaccurate, then it probably is, but I just remember seeing something like that...

P.
    WIP-ZOMBIES

I love vegetarians! More meat for the rest of us!

Quote Originally Posted by realMakc
    alternativa does not have occlusion culling, everything in frustum is drawn there back-to-front according to bsp
    Are you sure about this? The bunker demo they produced seems very high performance for a painters algorithm.

Quote Originally Posted by Pazil
    I can't find it now after looking for quite some time, but I sweat that I read somewhere a couple months ago that Alternativa relies on something external to Flash...

I'm sorry, if you know it's inaccurate, then it probably is, but I just remember seeing something like that...

P.
    Yeah, I don't think you're far off

http://blog.alternativaplatform.com/...7-in-progress/

looks like they are doing stuff with alchemy.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Quote Originally Posted by mr_malee
    looks like they are doing stuff with alchemy.
    if you still have access to their jira, check issue 1404. it was closed with comment saying that alchemy is unsatisfactory and not production ready, and that they are going to try haxe instead.

Quote Originally Posted by rachil0
    The bunker demo they produced seems very high performance for a painters algorithm.
    Actually it lags lige hell on my machine, other bunker at drevnii.ru is way faster.

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    realMakc, that's a real nice example! On the 6th floor there's a shooting gallery...showoffs
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game