A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: cant make text links or buttons work

cant make text links or buttons work

i just downloaded the prog and have been testing for a few days.
    the prog looks like what i need but...

i have tried everything to make an html text link work. i also added a button and added the action to open a web page.
    but after uploading swf file. neither will work in browser.
    i also checked the box to open a web page when clicking the movie.
    no type of <a></a> code seems to work.

if i could overcome this problem, i definitely would purchase this software.
    but i only have 3 days left ot experiment so any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    jim

ps: and i tried exporting as flash 8 and 9 but no difference.

PS: no i didnt export it as flash 8 because the prog errors out and shuts down. i can only export it as flash 9 and it does not work.

I have recognised the same problem, and I have mailed support and gotten an reply...

The button openURL function lacks functionallity because of some reason and you can make an script that tells openURL instead of using the menuitem... A script works the same!

(I made my movie in 3DFA v4.6 and had openURL on buttons and then I upgraded and worked in never 3DFA and I had openURL on many buttons and when I started to need to make scripts instead I found it more interesting to go back to v4.6 than to rewrite the whole movie and switch to scripts on every button)
    Last edited by SirN; 11-04-2007 at 05:11 AM.

tx for the reply sirn
    i have been experimenting and this is what i found so far.

first, like you said, i see no way to make a button or text link work when exporting to flash 9.

when exporting to flash 8, the prog will error out unless there is a target param in the <a link. ie: target = main. BUT...
    also, i have to export as flash html otherwise the link has a black foreground over it. it works, just cant see it. now this i dont understand. i have tried putting attributes in the tables, columns etc. but still no luck.

so for now, i just have to eliminate all the extended html tags and use simple <a links. this kinda limits what i can do but like i said, i am new at the prog.

i will keep experimenting since the scripting is my weak point.

tx again and good day

HTML links were not finished for Flash 9 export in the currently available release. And some people have reported problems with openURL in Flash 8 export as well.

There will be a new release this week which fixes some problems, adds some new features, and brings Flash 9 export much closer to completion.

There is still a lot of testing to do, and so the new version probably won't be ready until the end of this week.

If you are still evaluating the software during your trial period, then obviously this won't help you in time. When the new version is released, you should contact support and request a trial extension, or just wait a few weeks for version 5 with free Flash 8 export.
    Cheers,
    kusco
    (3DFA Support Team)

tx kusco
    i dont think i will need an extension on the trial. the prog seems to be what i need. i will wait for the ver 5 and download and purchase.
    jim