A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Creating a Flash Ebook...??

Creating a Flash Ebook...??

Ok.. basically what I'm wanting to make...

A flash ebook that will let the user click on the corner of the page to manually flip the pages, or allow them to just hit the play button (of course would need a stop button as well) and sit back and watch the ebook play. I want to include sounds and narration and animation on the pages.

This first ebook that I'm doing is a children's book and is only a few pages, but I'll be doing many many more ebooks, so I'd like to make something that I could use as sort of a template if that's possible.

I can find lots of tutorials out there for making a page flip effect, but not giving the option to flip or just play through. I can find tutorials on making play and stop buttons, but not tying them into page flip buttons. I'm not sure if I should just make the book into a movie (same as you would any basic flash animation) and just make the button for the page flip skip ahead to the next "scene" in the movie (ie the next page). Or maybe make it where the movie plays and stops and waits on you to turn the page.

Perhaps making each page into a movie clip and making a button that moves to the next movie clip with the page flip integrated into the beginning of each clip. This wouldn't allow it to be made into a template easily. I would have to animate the page flip with every book.

I'll be doing ebooks of everything from children's books, to cook books, to erotica novels... so it would need to appeal to all ages preferably.

I can find tutorials explaining the individual components, so I guess what I'm looking for is someone that knows something about flash that could help me figure out what type of structure and components I need to pull this off.

welcome to FK .. heres a good flip book you can download..and with a few modifications you should easily be able to control page flipping with buttons or automate it:

http://www.iparigrafika.hu/pageflip/

hope it helps
    Flashmatics | Flashmatics Library (free downloads)
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Latest Projects:
    The Dead Room | Are You Smarter | Prison Break (Frame A Friend) | Beck's Fusions | The 24 Experience

-----------------------------------------------------
    Flash Certified Developer

Thanks.. I'll give it a try!!

Oh my gosh.. I just downloaded the flash file for that flip book... how do you even begin to edit that???!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by silentweed View Post
    welcome to FK .. heres a good flip book you can download..and with a few modifications you should easily be able to control page flipping with buttons or automate it:

http://www.iparigrafika.hu/pageflip/

well, I also know such one great blog for you to learn how to create flash e-book easily: http://www.xflip.com/blog/tutorial-t...excellent-way/

hope it helps
    Hi, dear, the good news is that there're many online or offline tools available for your choice like Issue, Codex and many more, just have a try, good luck!

Try to make a flash ebook from your PDF by using the free online service which is named youblisher. It can be used freely. If you are not satisfied with the free service, please take a look at this page flip pdf tool. It makes flash ebooks from PDF, Office documents and images. It has turning pages effect.

For the creation of animated flipbook I use www.flipsnack.com. It is free, if you only need to embed flash ebook on a website. Overall, I am happy with this service.