A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: BitmapData Question

BitmapData Question

Once I have drawn from a loaded image to a BitmapData instance, is there any way of converting the BitmapData back to an image so that I can then dispose of the Bitmap?

Thanks

the bitmap data stores the bitmap information and then you tell an empty movie clip to use the bitmap data object and it will display the image.
    ~calmchess~

Hi,

I understand what attachBitmap does, but I'm running into memory problems.

Instead of loading and displaying images using MovieClipLoader, I'm loading them then caching them as BitmapData instances so I can pass them into another class.

My Problem is that attaching these to MCs to display them is causing a memory issue and slowing my swf down. (There are a lot of images and they are huge).

well there is your problem you have alot of information to write to the bitmapdata objects and then all that data has to be written to the movieclips .....do you know the rules to using images on the web or with any scripting language? i suggest you learn the rules to managing content on a webpage before you try to break the rules.
    ~calmchess~

Thanks for your rude and unhelpful reply.

I'm perfectly aware of the potential problems and have done everything I can to manage them. I have a class which stacks requests for images so that only one image is loaded at a time. The problem is not with getting the images in, but seems to be with the amount of information stored locally once they are. Only one bitmap is written to at a time. Only 2 Mcs with Bitmaps attached are ever displayed at a time - any others are set to _visible(false). There is no memory lag until there are a lot of Bitmapdata instances in the memory.

i suggest you learn the rules to managing content on a webpage before you try to break the rules.
    You make me sound awfully naughty. As far as I'm aware, what I'm doing is fairly common practice, and there are a number of engines around which allow the caching of Bitmaps for later use. I have used the engine I'm currently using many times without problem, but given the size of the Bitmap Data instances I'm using this time, I'm looking for a more efficient way of handling the situation.

http://www.in3d.eu Kostas Zotos's Avatar
    Hi,

Maybe use the MyBitmapData.dispose();
    The command releases the resourses used by the specific BitmapData object.. (You cann't use that BitmapData after execute the dispose(), removes it permanently)

Kostas
    K. Zotos online portfolio: http://www.in3d.eu

Hi Kostas,

Yeah, was using that already, It actually turned out to be a result of having a large stack of MCs with BitmapDatas attached within which I was swapping depths. Changed the code to set any but the top 3 MCs to _visible = false and all my problems went away. Wierd as I wasn't using any transparency, but it worked.

http://www.in3d.eu Kostas Zotos's Avatar
    Fine! good news
    K. Zotos online portfolio: http://www.in3d.eu