A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [MX04] [Game] Shape Wars

[MX04] [Game] Shape Wars

http://www.flashninjaclan.com/test/shapewars.html

Please comment, its not been release yet so don't post anywhere else.

It plays a lot like Coolio Niato's awesome color wars game except with more enemy types and powerups and a shape instead of color theme. I will put him in the credits when I release the final version.

The music isn't that great but its not the music that will be in the final version, I'm paying someone to do that. Please let me know what you think.

I don't think I'll change the graphics much as they are meant to be basic shapes.

I'm wondering if I should drop the changing shape background.
    Flash Ninja Clan - Games and cartoons

Developer
    I clicked on the link and started writing this post before it finished loading. It takes WAY too long to load. Or maybe the server is slow...

But the game is pretty good.

I like the anchoring - I havent seen that in any other game (but then again I havent played that many games).

I like the beginning of the music (I didnt like it when it turned to dance).

I liked the having to use the same projectile as the enemy to destroy it - kinda reminded me of Ikaruga.

You definitely need an autofire! And perhaps have a background - something to liven up the screen a bit.

All in all - impressive

Autofire wouldn't work all that well because you have limited powerups. The game is about 2mb, but I'm getting a shorter and better music loop and a few more sound effects. I'm hoping to get it down to around 1mb. Not sure what to do about the background. In color wars, it just changed to the same color as the bullet you were firing so I just changed shapes for the background. What do you suggest?

Thought about seeking sponsorships but I'm going to sponsor myself as usual or co-sponsor with someone else.

I enjoy this game Archbob, good work. This game is fun, and I hope to see a future improved version, for this game. Even though the graphics are minimilistic, you managed to make them suit the game. The only suggestions I could offer you, would be to improve your graphics a bit, and maybe make more pickups and different types of enemies. Other then that, this game is pretty solid. Good work!

I plan to make a leveled sequel to the games. THere are actually 7 types of enemies in all. Still trying to figure out what to do with the background. As for graphics, I will probably improve for the sequal but as the game is called shapewars, what kind of improvements would be good?

Well I was thinking you could do this. Maybe model simple 3d models of shapes, that osilate horizontally. Then maybe make some nice backgrounds in terragen, or something like that and change the background per stage.

http://www.planetside.co.uk/gallery/f/tg09

I have been getting good at this program, it is pretty easy. You will soon see 3d backgrounds that are similiar to this, multiple enemies and weapons in my game. So be on the look out for my game in the upcomming weeks!

Is it free?
    Instead of basic shapes I will probably do with 3d gradients for the sequel, there will definately be more shapes and powerups in the sequel too.

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    Terragen is a free download, but has restrictions. For instance, if memory serves me (was playing with this when the first beta came out a few years ago), the max render size in the download version was 640x480 though that's a pretty nice figure as far as Flash apps dimensions are concerned. Hope you've got a decent cpu though, the render can take a long time depending on the view you're rendering and atmospheric cosmetics you can apply.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

Well my computer is decent, and does not take to long to render. Sometimes it takes awhile, but it's worth it to get that perfect image. I have been practicing a lot with it, and I have made some nice loopable backgrounds in it, for my game. It's a free program, and it works really well. It makes me tempted to get the second one. Terragen is free though, and it works well. Backgrounds made in Terragan can really improve the appearance of the game. The program is also very easy to learn, understand and create great sceneries, so I would strongly suggest you check it out.

Check out the new version that I just uploaded a while ago with improved graphics:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/Archbob/shape-wars

I wish I had waited for the new graphics before submitted to Kongregate. Oh well, there's still NG.