A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Looping flv/video

Question Looping flv/video

Hello

I should start by saying I'm new to Flash and this forum!

I have made a short movie which I intend to loop on the web using Flash CS3. I found setting up the FLVplayback component really easy and currently have the .swf playing my external .flv perfectly.

Now I need to figure out how to loop the movie - seamlessly if possible. I found this video tutorial, but it appears I can't add actionscript to the FLVplayback component in CS3, and the parameters bit doesn't seem to have a option for it.

I heard elsewhere that the best way to seamlessly loop a movie in Flash is to embed the movie. Is this true? If so, how do I go about doing this?

Thanks for any help,

Dave*

Which AS version do you use?
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Actionscript 3.0.. only because it seemed like the easiest way to make an flv player after looking through a few tutorials..

Flash video

Flash CS3 comes with an example fla for video playback. It is xml loaded. If you don't have the samples that come with cs3 you can get the documentation and samples from the Adobe site.
    Also gotoandlearn has excellent tutorials on using the net connect and net stream for video playback. What you want to do is pretty simple and you will find the answers at the sites listed.

Hi there

For the record, as far as I can tell, you cannot seamlessly loop an external FLV video using actionscript. I am no expert, but after asking around and reading several tutorials there doesn't seem to be a solid solution.

If you are like me and want to seamlessly loop a single small movie the solution is devastatingly simple! Simply drag your movie (i used a .mov, but i think most major formats are compatible) to the stage and the import wizard does the rest. Not only that, but it automatically loops the movie for you - a 10 second solution that even someone with no flash experience can use.

Hope that helps someone out there....

And thanks indiepixels, the gotoandlearn video tutorials are FANTASTIC! I have now built my own actionscript-based flv player which calls flv's dynamically from Cold Fusion. I only started using flash last week! I recommend those tutorials to anyone. The chap Lee Brimelow talks you through each stage of actionscripting so you come away not only knowing how to code that particular thing, but the theory behind it too! A rare thing!

Thanks folks,

Dave*

Here's how I'm looping a progressively downloaded FLV. If you're working with a streaming server, you'll have to basically do the same thing, except it's triggered by listening to the net stream. I don't have a streaming server so I don't know exactly how to do this, but you can find tutorials about the net stream all over the net. Good luck.

import fl.video.*; //Don't forget to import this!

var strVideoURL:String;
    strVideoURL = <enter the URL to your FLV here>;

flvPlayer.autoRewind = true;
    flvPlayer.play( strVideoURL );

flvPlayer.addEventListener( VideoEvent.STOPPED_STATE_ENTERED, loopMovie )

function loopMovie(event:VideoEvent):void
    {
    flvPlayer.play();
    }

flash animator guy

What dose this mean?

In the posted code... what dose "VideoEvent" reference or refer to?

Thanks

RSB

A Clever Cherrry Indeed
    on (complete) {
    this.autorewind =true;
    this.play();
    }

just paste that onto the FLV object and it should loop seamlessly (without the tiny pause at the end)

Need Looping Help too

Im trying to get this FLV in the back to continuously loop http://eskucheme.com/test2.html

It seemed as easy as pasting this to the actions
    on (complete) {
    this.autorewind =true;
    this.play();
    }

but when I select the FLV in my .fla file, it says
    "current selection cannot have actions applied to it"

please help....

thanks!

Ө_ө sleepy mod
    In AS3 you can't attach code directly to objects, it has to be on a timeline frame or in a Class.

See this post for flv looping code: http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hlight=looping

A Clever Cherrry Indeed
    Sorry dude i think this is AS2 only, change yer publish settings to AS2 (if your not using any AS3 functionality)