dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: So why isn't Flashkit in Flash?

LDpro

Talking

Hi All!

I'm pretty new to FlashKit, but seeing as how we all seem to like Flash, why isn't FlashKit in Flash?

Perhaps it ought to be!

LDpro

perhaps not.....Flash is limited you know. Do you know how much traffic fk gets and imagine all of that on one page!!!

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    Perhaps it would not be the right solution to the problem this site is updated like 20 times a day with new stuff everywhere. Flash is just an element that can be used and is used at times in this site. But it is not one size fits all

I dont really understand your question

hello LDpro.
    well i agree with pope. flashkit is a content-driven site. it needs to be available to the masses. flash isn't as available yet.

Ian424
    It's not like there isnt ANY flash.

Have you seen the movies/tutorials section?
    It's got lots of flash hehe

the best flash-driven site that I've found, that has a message board, is shockfusion, but compare flashkit and shockfusion on a functional level.. basically shockfusion is incredibly ambitious in my humble opinion but really really limited..
    it's definitely a nice idea, but I'm basically agreeing with everyone else already at this pint. ..point.
    flash is better for small things that only need to be maintained with new txt files, more or less.

I'm a hero like Robert De Niro
    Think of it this way.... does it make sense to flash Amazon.com or yahoo.com? I guess not and the same reasons apply to Flashkit.

McMurphy

Hi guys, my view is that Flash Kit, as what it says on the Front Page, is a "Flash Kit- A Flash Developer Resource Site ". It never said it was a "Flash Site" ...you following?....If you think that this site aint got any flash, then you are very mistaken! Our tutorials, peoples footers, and much much more contain ample amounts of Flash content.

LDpro

I actually agree that it shouldn't be flash based

But the post was somewhat experimental as to what you guys would respond with. The basic gist of what I'm getting is that Flash isn't really the appropriate medium by which "content driven" sites should be engaged in.

And, a really interesting question is because content related sites and sites such as Yahoo! or Amazon are not Flash based, how do you determine whether an eCommerce based site ought to be constructed with Flash or not?

Sorry for the almost philiosophical questions, but I'm an Information Systems major, and that question was posed to me and I wanted to see what the Flashkit community thought about it.

Maybe in the future we'll see heavy based ecommerce sites like Amazon in flash and with video... this whole broadband revolution is suppose to be real something...but for now I don't think there's the knowledge/need/money to manufacture such sites in flash.

McMurphy

The pope has stated it clearly(After me) that as flashkit recieves so many people, controling it is very hard..Imagine updating a flash movie, in like loads of different section and everyone trying to upload their updated version of some section but then sets the others back...very very bad idea....As for us to see heavy based ecommerce sites like Amazon in flash and with video, well loads of people run on like 56.6 connections and dont have the time or patients to wait for big things to load...When the broadband quality gets better in Europe, Asia, Africa, Middle East...then that might become a reality. I heard if all countries get to T3 lines, theres going to be internet TV..

oh, look at this.. post #200 for me. uh, anyway
    I was thinking, I wonder how director works in comparison to flash for things like this, I know people seem to mostly use it for games or cd-rom type stuff, but I feel like I've been seeing more of a director presence, almost as if it's "the next big thing", which I don't think is true. Anyway, does anybody here know director at all? if so, how would that relate to our topic here, because director seems to be the more "heavy-duty" cousin (or uncle, I guess ) of flash, at least that's the impression I get from it...

thanks

karnak

I know Director (don't ask me why ) and I can tell you that flash is a lean and mean kinda version of Director.. at least it started off that way cuz right now flash is a magic all by it self.The big advantage Flash has on Director in relation to broadband is that it's vector based and therefore scaleable.When working in a Director environment you use mostly bitmaps and that's no good when coming to produce a broadband product that should be "one size fit all".

McMurphy

FlashKit is composed almost entirely in PHP. Integrating PHP into Flash is slow for both the producers and the end-users, and inefficient. Since this site is database-driven, using plain old HTML and such greatly increases the speed of the site. Plus, there's nothing really to gain by integrating Flash into the current design of this site. Also, there would be no feasible or easy way of using Flash to display and organize all of the tutorials and gallery items, and open source .fla's. Flash is not intended for massive database integration, or for web sites that have a large amount of traffic, and a large amount of data to provide to the user. Using Flash would also likely quadruple bandwidth usage, and redesigning the site would take weeks if not months for a total Flash-based makeover, if they were to do such a thing. FK has used Flash in its section headers and such before, and this makes sense. Small Flash animations such as the ones they have used add style and taste, and a little bit of motion to the page, to keep the eyes interested. Too much Flash, or all content in Flash would get cumbersome, and is probably impossible to develop on such a large scale anyway.

--Chris Cardinal

Originally posted by LDpro
    Hi All!

I'm pretty new to FlashKit, but seeing as how we all seem to like Flash, why isn't FlashKit in Flash?

Perhaps it ought to be!

LDpro

Re: I actually agree that it shouldn't be flash based

(In reference to your post about Flash in ecommerce sites...)
    Flash has its place in ecommerce sites, but not as much as it would in a more creative, or design-driven site. Flash can be used to display products and product information, as well as (minor) dynamic information in a more interesting way. Once again, ecommerce sites are almost entirely data-driven and dynamic. It is not feasible for them to create their page in Flash, nor does it offer any benefits, and proves to be extremely inefficient. You cannot possibly integrate a terabyte or more Oracle database (such as Amazon.com's) into Flash. Flash provides no benefit for doing this anyway. Flash is used primarily to allow interaction with a user on service-based sites, or to spice up a section of a site without being too bandwidth-intensive. It is not meant to push dynamic data, and Macromedia Generator could never handle the burden of an ecommerce site. Once again, designing an ecommerce site in Flash holds no benefit. At all. Nothing....
    So why do it? Keep Flash for the smaller, more creative and less data-intensive sites.
    Hope this helps,
    --Chris Cardinal

Originally posted by LDpro
    But the post was somewhat experimental as to what you guys would respond with. The basic gist of what I'm getting is that Flash isn't really the appropriate medium by which "content driven" sites should be engaged in.

And, a really interesting question is because content related sites and sites such as Yahoo! or Amazon are not Flash based, how do you determine whether an eCommerce based site ought to be constructed with Flash or not?

Sorry for the almost philiosophical questions, but I'm an Information Systems major, and that question was posed to me and I wanted to see what the Flashkit community thought about it.