dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: New Business site need some advice

New Business site need some advice

Hello I am starting a business and decided to make a flash website for my business. I am getting real close to start advertising for my business however before i did i wanted to get some advice on my flash site. I am a newbie in flash. I have only been using it for about a month. I know i have some work to do but i am running out of time. If anyone has a chance i would love some people to check out my site and comment on it. Let me know what you like...Let me know what you don't like. If you have tips or suggestions be sure and share them. You can be as nit picky as you want. If i misspelled a word you can share that with the world i will be ok with it. I can handle it. I want this site to be the best that it can be. I have already gotten a suggestion to either take out the cube or put something in it that will relate to the site. I have decided to either put a rotating picture cube with different computer pics and my logo. Please let me know what you think. Thanks again.

The site is wpc-consulting.com

http://www.wpc-consulting.com

Ok... where to start... I'll just go as I think of things, if that's alright with you.
    The black background is boring, to say the least. There isn't enough "pop" or contrast in this site. Other than the useless moving stuff there isn't anything to draw attention to the content of the site, the readable stuff that you want the users to know about. The design should lend itself to the content. Ok, so here's how it goes. Basically in art composition is 90%, the methods used and the technical stuff used to achieve the finished product is the other 10%. In web design the user's gaze should go from an entry point (Ever wonder why company logos are at the top left or top middle of a page almost 99% of the time?) to something lower whether it be a horizontal or left-aligned navigation, then drawn towards the content. On your site... other than the terribly out of place cube (please get rid of it, it's useless, displays no information, doesn't fit with anything, looks amateur) you have a header for header for each page that reminds me of something I just clicked. Usually reminds of where I am are nice indicators on a page, but in this case the font size is huge and for some odd reason they have red shadows. I recommend changing this because a. users need to know about the content, your services, etc, not what page they are on b. it looks tacky, period c. red doesn't go with the blue you have, never will, and it's the only color other than blue you use on the entire site and doesn't go with your color palette at all. Ok. So. If you've read this far I have some other suggestions for the site. Come up with a cleaner transition for your boxes. Maybe alpha fade the buttons in. Heck, have them at 100%, in position, because the current motions have them overlapping each other circa 94. That teal you have on your text scrollers doesn't fit with your blue. Please come up with 3 or maybe 4 main colors you will use on the site... don't add them as you make the design. Make sure they wouldn't look out of place together on either a person's clothing ensemble or on a painting. Your buttons leave a lot to be desired. They are boring. If you're going to use flash something other than a color change to orange would be nice. Maybe some subtle underline motion or something going would be fine. Also your bounding box for the hitstate is a few pixels away from the bottom of the buttons. Your contact form sucks, period. It takes me away from your site. Just have a simple mailto please, or use a form that you can find on this site or any others that uses simple php etc. Brb I have to use the bathroom, I'll post this so it isn't lost.
    Have a wonderful day!
    http://www.gpathmedia.com!

Ok here's my advice, continued. Your "nav bar" just ends on both sides... just... ends. Can't really put it any other way. Maybe you might want to add a pixel or something... or a shadow... it just looks off. Your content box just ends with the bottom of the page. Either change something so it doesn't look like it's falling off the end of the page, or stop it short so it looks like you actually designed the content box and not just had it stop somewhere in the middle of nowhere. OK here's a VERY major point. One of the big reasons why flash is used is that elements can remain constant and time/bandwidth are used. Your site doesn't save me time by being flash... it wastes it. It's because your site elements don't stay when I go to different pages. Have everything but the main content text stay when I click something else so I save time not having to see those tweens over and over again. Have I said anything about the tweens yet? The boxes look ugly, fill in at odd timings, overlap elements, don't look well thought out, go random directions, and need to be changed. Overall I would say at this point just go for a SOLID design in photoshop and code it in dreamweaver or on your own with html and css. You'd be able to have a clean, nice design where people can bookmark your pages and stuff (they can't right now because your site isn't configured with the latest doohicky code to go to different pages when they go to different links within your flash movie). Yeah um... good luck with that, email me or something if you need any more help.

OK SORRY TO BE SO HARSH, should have said this at the beginning, but I just wanted to maybe impart some design knowledge on someone whose expertise isn't obviously flash or web design, help you out a bit maybe. I'm not trying to knock you down, but instead if you were to take all the advice I just spent time writing, applied them to your site... you could have an awesome site. Anyways, good luck with your computer consulting business, email me if you have any questions or anything.
    Have a wonderful day!

WOW lol. Thanks for all the advice. Really i do appreciate it. I am extremely new at flash and dont know too many tricks. The only way i was able to do that much is reading forums, tutorials, and such. I was happy with the site however i knew it could have been a lot better. I am hoping i am a little better at computer hardware and pc support than websites lol. anyways Yes i would like your help. I have gotten a lot of help from your post and i have also gotten a huge amount of help from another post and his site is extremely good as well as yours. I dont want to take much of yalls time i am sure yall are busy. However if you have any more pointers or some cool effects on how to make my site better than i am open for it. It looks like i am going to have to redue my whole site. I just used a template and tried to improve it because i have never used flash before. The reason i used the pop up boxes on the services page is because i didnt want people to have to scroll down a huge list of things that i do i wanted it to be a little easier and cooler. I am also not sure how to make it where the motion tweens stop when you go back to that page. I didnt even know you can do that. Like i said i am very new. I just had a mission to make a flash website. I did it. NOT A GREAT ONE BUT I DID. You werent harsh i want to get better and I will. If you have any more tips on how to do certain things or some examples please send them. I looked at this other guys site at...http://www.mandissected.co.uk/umar_site2.htm it is a fantasic site. I also looked at yours what a great site compared to mine. Well again thanks for all your help. I would appreciate some more feedback. Oh one more thing my form is a php how can i make it better. I wasnt sure if i wanted to do a regular mailto: because it pops up in outlook which hardly anybody ever uses anymore. So i wanted a form which would make it easier. Do you have any ideas. Thanks

Jesse

To disprove your idea that noone uses outlook anymore...

well ok so this isn't a huge statistic or anything, but for me thunderbird sucks right now it doesn't even work with my isp for some reason or another, but I use it anyways because it's convenient and easy to use. Umar's site has a mailto, if that means anything. (:
    Anyways... you see how his site goes? The nav is pretty much there when you go to his site... although it does flip from top to bottom and vice versa. Like my own site there isn't much reading material, but there's definitely an impetus given for users to go to the different pages, even if it's just out of curiosity or to see the different images. Not sure what you're wanting to do with your own site... there's trillions of directions you could go with a consulting service.
    Have a wonderful day!

Well my information is pretty much there. I plan to have lots of information on my support page. With lots of tips and tricks to help people keep their computers in shape. I also plan to have a good amount of information on my services page. Describing the different services. However other than that it shouldnt be too much. My about us page shouldn't change much same with the home page. Ok i will give you the outlook deal. However i don't use outlook so when i go to a site like this i have to wait will it tries and configures outloook then i have to highlight and copy the link and go to my own mail server and email the person. I just thought if i had a form it would be much quicker. I am not saying i wouldn't ever do a mailto i am very flexible i am just trying to make this site as good as it can be. I am trying to get ideas. I have found some great windows xp backgrounds that i will probably play with on my site. At least it will be computer themed in that way. I love how umars site has that transition into each page. It just blew me away. I wouldnt mind something like that. However i dont want to copy i just need to look at some tutorials and see how these things are made then i can figure out how i want to do it. I appreciate all of your help. As you can see i am not even much of a forum poster. This is my first time to actually post on forums. I read forums a lot lol. But now i am beginning to post and learn. My brain cant take all of this information lol. But anyways thanks again for all your advice. I will continue to post my progress on here and see what everyone thinks.