A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vector Battle: Natsia Vs j_hunter182

Vector Battle: Natsia Vs j_hunter182

For ****s & giggles.
    I want to experiment a little and I feel the best way to do so is through bouncing ideas and styles off of a sparring partner.

Rules
    Must be a vector / vexel. Programs: Photoshop, Illustrator or Corel Draw. No freehand / quark allowed.
    Use previous element - Element called by opponent per round and to be attached as a live file for editing in next volley.
    Size: Whatever the hell you want - Keep it reasonable for the FK boards (Ie: post a thumbnail if your image is massive).
    Rotation allowed.
    Turn around time: 2 days
    5 volleys each.
    Keep an open mind

No chancers please, if you think you can't commit or meet the turn around don't waste my time and yours. I'd like to finish a battle for a change.
    Also please bare in mind that I'm using this as a learning / growth battle.
    Images might be weird or weak in design terms - it's all about changing styles up, experimentation and learning, so I'm hoping for someone who will be happy/willing to see this battle in the same light.
    I'll volley once someone steps up.

I'll take you up on this one if that's ok?

Cool man, lets do this thing.

Image will be up in a few hours.

What would you like to use?

I'm diggin the negative space and texture. nice. Uncle Sam's dotted stroke isn't sitting well though.
    http://code.mneilsworld.com/
    Text Effects | Bubbles | Dynamic Resize
    4 weeks , 20 papers ... thats 2 dollars .....Caassshhh!

It's actually two drawings laid on top of each other, the negative space under Sam are all the shadows & mini details, the dotted strokes the highlights and outlines above that, and was probably what took me the longest to do on this image.
    I think the effect is somewhat lost on such a small scale - Looked pretty kick ass in illustrator. I'll definitely be experimenting more with that.

Thanks for the feedback, man.

I'm not keen on the Baseball bats. The outline of the highlights just looks a bit all over the shop for me... Maybe if they'd matched the style of the baseball player they'd sit better?

The dotted lines on Uncle Sam rock my socks though! They're a really nice tocuh and I may have to "borrow" that idea at some point

All in all a sweet image - This battle should be goooood!

i'm loving this all around. i agree with matt though about the bat highlights.

Sweet sweet work lady

They do look cool eh? I was just mucking around and boom! Love it when that happens.

I hear ya on the bats... Seriously started on sam and it just reached a point where I was over it. "Fk it!" *grab mouse, quickly draw everything else* assemble in PS. DONE!

Gerbs also pointed out a layout idea which I think would have looked pretty good: have the baseball player hit the "O" of the word to. One of those "why didnt I see that?" Moments, but thats the reason you have mentors yes / no?

Shot for the feedback Matt.

I like that Nats!

I personally think the background is a little over done and takes away from the treatment in centre of the image. I'd like to have seen a version with a more subtle background, it'd maybe give the image a bit more depth.

I'm not totally sure on how you want to do this. So I ask for an element of the image and you send it my way in vector format?

Great start!

Quote Originally Posted by j_hunter182
    I'm not totally sure on how you want to do this. So I ask for an element of the image and you send it my way in vector format?
    Thats exactly it. Unfortunately though I woke up with a bit of a stomach bug and am not in the office today, if you're willing to wait until tomorrow. Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by mneil
    I'm diggin the negative space and texture. nice. Uncle Sam's dotted stroke isn't sitting well though.
    I like the dotted stroke look. Maybe it doesnt fit in with this image as much, but i still like it!

i know it's the holidays, but i want more vector up in this mutha.

Well seeing that we seem to have taken an intermission Natsia is it only possibly to achieve clean smooth curves in illistrator or can that be achieved in cs itself with the pen tool?
    "What do you call a mouse's Shadow in the second moon?"

Hunter seems to be on hiatus. I've emailed him the element he called for via pm about a week ago now. :| Dunno if Im going to have the time to finish this up if he takes much longer. Only one and a bit weeks left of "quiet time" at the office.

Darkness: Absolutely possible. Personally I prefer the way the pen tool reacts in PS to AI, you have far more direct control over your anchors and curve handles, and there's an annoying thing AI does while drawing your paths out where it goes off on a tangent and gives you a long curved line. Its not really a huge deal but it is annoying when you're trying to work quickly and you need to go back and reset the curves on certain sections of your path.
    The only thing I can recommend on the pen tool or any other tool when illustrating in vector is: practice and patients.

Edit: One last hint which is universally true irrespective of which package you're working in: The less anchor points in your path, the smoother your curves will be.
    Simplicity is key.
    Last edited by Natsia; 12-26-2007 at 03:30 AM.

I looks like he signed onto FK today. He's probably just busy w/ the holidays.

Nats, you drew that all in PS?

Nah Dri, only assembled it in PS. All the illustration pieces were done in illustrator.

Sorry about the delay, festivities and such. I'll hopefully have something up tomorrow Natsia.

Ok man, thanks for letting me know.