A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Spiderwick

[WIP] Spiderwick

http://soap.com.au/work/vivendi/spiderwick/

first AS3 game. If you guys could bug test the crap out of that, it'd be super

still trying to figure out this Garbage collection. And also add better rendering, ever since I changed the tile engine from using big arse bitmaps, I've had to resort to loops. This loops are unoptimised atm, but it still seems to run ok.

anyway, I wont expect much from the comments. A hate relationship with this one I have.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

...dishing dimes on an .fla! pointguard's Avatar
    First thing I've noticed is it's taking an age to load the game - I've refreshed my browser twice already! - seems to be sticking at sort of 30% done loaded.

Been loading for about 3 minutes now...

i don´t like the controls a lot,they feel kinda slow and not responsive enough for my likes.
    On the other side i quite like the level design so far and the presentation is kickass
    This is award winning material, go for thefwa and ff

Also,yeah,i totally understand you,have the same low/hate relationship with as3 so far.

you may have been caught in my last minute re-upload. The file is embarrassing at 3.6mb. Way its got to be unfortunately.

Tom - yeah, had a bit of a poll around here at work about that, Some people like the game play influenced by the animation, others (like you) want quick response. I should test both out.

Also, I feel I have made the jump wrong, you should jump and as you hold down the up key your jump increases. Like in Sonic. Will have to fix that one
    Last edited by mr_malee; 11-15-2007 at 08:14 AM.

regarding the animation controlled gameplay: yeah, exactly, got mixed feelings about that one, on the one side it reminds me of classics i loved like flashback, on the other it feels unresponsive when i quickly want to react on enemies

And ass me? thanks for that one man, with what did i deserve that?
    Last edited by tomsamson; 11-15-2007 at 08:12 AM.

another case of fingers too fast for brain, or the other way round

yeah, np, i know how it is, have the same often, too

Argh, I start doing a GWars inspired game, someone beats me with a great one, I start on a platformer and...

Nice work mate, it's very, erm, "visual". You can tell it's to pimp a film.

For as3 that's excellent as I think we're all in the same boat of going through hell with it.

More please.

Squize.

I was loving AS3, until I had to get out the dustbin, and find that my dustbin doesn't collect anything.

thanks for the nice comments.

What is dustbin?
    So, killing objects was the only problem you find doing it in AS3?

a dustbin (garbage bin) is a place where you put your garbage.

Its not hard, its just not working. You'll notice that before you click play game, flash is using 60mb, when you click playgame, memory goes to 95-100, go back to main, memory stays same even though (to my best knowledge) all references are removed to one another. Play again and memory goes up to 119, end game - 100, play again - 122, end game - 102, play again - 125, end game - 106. etc

so there is something wrong there, I want the memory to return to 60mb after the game is removed. And I just can't seem to do that, since there's no way of knowing whats removed, its close to impossible to do. Especially with a deadline on your back. So unless I can fix this leakage, then its possible to use up all your memory after ending and restarting about 500 times. No one would probably ever do that, but still, I don't like it.

so yes, the GC is my sworn enemy, other than that its peachy

edit - sorry, in browser those memory readings are wrong, but you get my drift
    Last edited by mr_malee; 11-15-2007 at 09:06 AM.

I see...for GC, the way i was doing was not to use the GC at all, and instead put all the objects on a array or list and reuse them, but that migth work just for small things like bullets, baddies...if you want to remove the whole game that will be a pain

I think this game is cool. Looks very nice visually and the stages are big and adventurous. I like that. The theme of this game and possibly upcoming movie seems very similar to Harry Potter to me, but thats just me. Anyways, visually this game is stunning, especially the character animation, it's spectacular. I wish you could kill stuff in this game, but sadly you can't, but I suppose this is a game for kids so thats out of the questions. Regardless of killing, this game is great! Keep up the good work!

that looks really great!
    Problem with something so realistic is that there will be situations where a nice new animation would be in place, pop up all the time I guess. (edited this sentence, but still doesn't sound good )
    -when you walk into a wall/dead-end player keeps running, you could use the animation that plays when you hit enemy, as if character is bashing against the wall?
    -I don't know if animator is finished with this job, but one thing I would really change is that when you press key short (just to position yourself better on an elevator for instance) the running animation will be changed in a sneak/simple step animation.
    The enemies are really cool.
    Good luck!

Wouter
    Last edited by walnoot; 11-15-2007 at 10:49 AM.

I experienced a bug where the player stopped responding to controls.

I was playing as the girl.
    I had just collected the first big "arc" of coins.
    I feel into the little pit with the dog, I got hit, and she stopped moving. She was stuck in her rest/stand-up-straight frame.
    The dog was still moving.
    The clock was still ticking.
    The dog passed right through me without damaging me from then on.

I took a screenie if you want it emailed to you.

Game Player - Developer scheletro's Avatar
    I hate platform games, but I had to keep playing this just for the grphics, they are great

Just a little bit heavy, why? I dont see to many sprites, is about the levels?, try to load levels every time you finish one

I like the presentation, great quality

"I love to make them as I love to play them"

thanks for the comments

schleletro, I know its large, but the maps are tiny in comparison to the game. around 40kb. The animation just has to many frames and graphics are just too intense. You should see the export time, its about 20secs. Can't split files up because of the way the game is created, AS3 is a lot different than AS2 for loading and using classes. I will remeber this for my next project.

rachil0, damn, thought I had fixed that. Its so hard to re-produce (for me anyway) What needs to happen is the hit animation needs to play out before any other animation plays.

walnoot, yeah I would like that. Unfortunately the budget is low and my 3D animator is no longer on the project. But I suppose I could do that wall bashing thing

thanks again people
    Last edited by mr_malee; 11-15-2007 at 07:01 PM.

FK founder & general loiterer Flashkit's Avatar
    I played the first guy, then after the first monster touched me I couldnt move anymore....
    Regards Mark Fennell - Flash Kit Founder, general loiterer
    -------------------------------
    I Hate Zombies - iPhone Game | markfennell.com

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    You do realize that if you're down to one life, you can just go to the main menu and then return to right where you left off with 3? Doesn't make it much of a challenge. The graphics are pure sex though. EXCEPT when you get hit/die in the air. The animation that follows is just silly. I guess this is why you've been soooooooo busy lately online...
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

yeah, the dev time on this was insane, 3 weeks. And still I have to make 2 more levels. I haven't been able to test it much, everytime I build something I've got to go onto the next thing straight away to make the deadline.

Thanks for the heads up though, helps me out