dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Cosmos Defender - Official Thread

Cosmos Defender - Official Thread

Hello, some improvments for my game have been in the works. I now have switchable weapons. Cool explosion effects have also been added! Also a platform engine within the game. The platforms that are in the game currently, are just test platforms that show the layout for the first stage. The modeler is going to remake the platforms in 3d. The first stage is pretty smooth, because it's just the first stage. Heres a test:

http://www.27games.com/dev

All the pickups currently look the same, but they are all different kinds of weapons. The game is still in early stages, but I would just like to show you all, some progress on my project. This version is to show some of the new stuff, it's not really completely playable. You guys can also look at the classic release, http://www.northernmost.org/cosmos and some other neat future concepts. I will also, later show you guys some neat cool stuff in future posts, so feel free to critique our efforts. More sound effects will be added in this game, as well. The game still needs to have alot of work done to it, but progressivley this game will get better and better! Thanks for the support.

PS: Ivan should be credited for programming, Flashsaga for particle effects, and myself and Morgan Lear for 3d backgrounds.

Great engine...
    Loved the particles coming out of the ship
    I did`nt feel any harmony between the bitmaps and the vectorial objects.
    It felt weird. but good weird.

This are things I think you should fix
    -Add Soundthracks
    -Texts are still selectable
    -Change the "Regular Hp bar" for a "Sci FI Hp bar"
    -The ship has to explode when you die
    -I still can`t see how much badies I`ve killed

The ship movement is still painfully sluggish. A shoot'em up has to feel as responsive as possible, and at present it feels like you're flying under water ( Or in treacle ).

Also it feels kind of weird that the parallax layer scrolls at the same speed as the baddies move, so you lose the sensation of depth.

I selected the credits, and man they flew past Also is there a way to return to the title screen after viewing them ? If not, then perhaps ghost the button out until it's fixed.

Sorry I've not got any real positives to offer up.

Squize.

Thanks for your critiques. This is an extremely early demo, I have a better version now, that I'm going to show you once I put it up on the web. Once I have more done on the game, and more fixed, their will be a lot more positive elements to the game. The game is a little sluggish now, but I am working on making it much faster. Never land, thanks for the compliments, I have been working on improving what you said.

This project is a pretty complex one, so it is going to go through a lot of test phases, that I would like you all to try out, until it is finally done. With your critiques, by the end of the project this game will be perfect

Thanks for your two cents, Never Land and Squize.

Hello everyone. I have a few other things to show you. I have an updated verison, with better weapon attributes, alot is still being worked on, like implementing other sounds for the weapons, and the creation of 3d platforms.

http://northernmost.org/cosmos/Cosmos.html

Not only that, I would like to show you a test of the turret. Something you will see in the game, in future releases

http://northernmost.org/cosmos/turrettest.html

I'm working on making the projectile come out of the gun instead of the ball joint, It should be pretty simple to fix.

Thanks again, please stop bye and feel free to put in your two cents. Hopefully in a few weeks, I'll have a really good verison of this game to show you.

Nice job on the graphics it improved a lot since i saw it last time. The sound fits pretty well to the game too. The only concern is that the ship control is really slow and laggy which makes it hard to avoid obstacles and move. I would like it better if there was more control over the ship and more bad guys flying, just some more action. May be you should randomize the velocity of the explosion particles a bit so that some go further then others and may be also fade out a bit later and vary in size. Right now it usually ends up being square shaped in a way and they all fade out together, which just doesn't look as cool yet as it could with some more variation in the particles. My two cents .

greets
    I do stuff that does stuff...

J-Force