dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Helicopter Game

My Helicopter Game

http://www.stylishdesign.co.uk/freeg...helicopter.htm

beta testage, any ideas, comments, suggestions...
    How does it run etc...

W.
    Each success only buys an entrance ticket to a more difficult problem

The game looks good...Nice helicopter and asteroid graphics....
    The highscore ran smoothly....and its coming along very well, can't wait to see it finished...
    It might be a little too hard though, maybe its just me but it was over usually in 3-8 seconds.
    One problem is your last mouse use is kept when a game is restarted. eg If you die while holding the mouse button, the next time to start it will just go up and you won't be able to stop. Also if you die going down you start of going down(which is fine but the first time you go straight...)
    Hope this helps. It ran smoothly on my machine.I'll be looking forward to the finished copy.

P.S. The trail is still visible on the menu once restarted...

P.P.S. Actually I was wrong about the going up thing you can stop it but you have to click and let go and be quick...you still might wanna change it.
    Last edited by UnknownGuy; 11-30-2003 at 08:08 PM.

thanks mr unknown guy,

The interface is kind of temporary, but its not really too important, I know about those bugs really annoying, especially the heli trail being left behind when you go back to menu!
    Will fix them when I get a chance.

How fast / slow does it run, and what sepc are you on?

And who the hell is justin!?

Is it wrong to be addicted to your own game?

im guessing you are using something like mousedown=1 to go up, or mousedown=0 to go down... something along those lines anyway. if everytime you reset the game, reset the variable with mousedown=null or undefined. this time i assume the copter will begin flying straight again? also indicates to me you are creating this mousedown like variable on the fly, not great practice but nevermind

ps. did you see the terrain engine in my footer? might be worth a look.

[m]

Pretty nice game. Quite addictive .

Although I'm asking myself why there are asteroids shooting towards a helicopter??

Originally posted by lukesquall
    Pretty nice game. Quite addictive .

Although I'm asking myself why there are asteroids shooting towards a helicopter??
    LOL!!!

IT'S A SPACECOPTER!!!

Hahaha. Good point....

I have seen this type of game before, and have wondered about the code. Can you point me in the right direction?
    The other day, I bought a box of animal crackers. On the side, it said "Do Not Eat if Seal is Broken". I opened the box and sure enough...

One thing that might you might wanna do is instead of having it preplanned the same way you do every time(it looks good this is just a suggestion) is have an assortment of like 25 different asteroids formations in function and just randomly call on them...I'm not sure if this would work perfectly but its just a thought.
    The game is very addictive!Well Done!

thanks again for your comments...

mbenny- I think that will fix it yeah - I really could not be bothered to think about it last time I posted... I tried using your engine earlier when I was building game, but collision detection just wasn't happening, I think I know how to do it now, so will give it another shot.

lukesquall - I was going to put in flying cows... - I may change it to a cave with obstructions if I get mbenny's terrain working, if not, I may change it to a special space rocket with the helicopter 'blades' as they look funky

UnknownGuy - I was going to do something like that, but then I can't do anything random, any pointers down this track??

cheers,

W.

Ihoss
    how is ur highscore working? i really want a highscore in my game too. nice game, although its one of those learn-the-map-to-win games.

Originally posted by Ihoss
    how is ur highscore working? i really want a highscore in my game too. nice game, although its one of those learn-the-map-to-win games.
    easy to use and set up highscore:
    http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/Ga...-657/index.php

Wannabe
    looks pretty good for the thing i saw a week ago in dev.

its a bit impossible, so the random multiple flying rocks should be a mode in itself, or a self adjusting difficulty, once u get so far more rocks come at once er something. i never made it more than 2-4 seconds in.

it ran completely smooth.

need to change setting your name to ask for it when you finish, its kindof a nag screen at the start.

premise is bunk. rocks flying at a helicopter.
    its a space copter?.....then why is there a smoke trail?, and why cant i move in the z dimension. nit picking.

Originally posted by tonypa
    easy to use and set up highscore:
    http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/Ga...-657/index.php
    Too bad there isnt any other free highscore fla/tut, cuz this one sux... too easy to hack. I tried and did it.

Ihoss
    ironclaw, agree. i just ended up doing my own one.

enceenoman, its a space copter which ha bin hit, which is y its smoking (idiot ). its stearing has been damaged and therefore it can only go straight forward. use ur imagination

Is having the scores within the game better than in a new popup window as it is? I never know which 1 to implement...

I think I will make some graphics for the interface, rather than just text, also will try to implement the scrolling background and maybe change the objects.. Any ideas on the randomly oncoming objects (for arguments sake vertical lines).

Would I just make 30 different scenarios lasting 200 frames each, and then call them at random again when they finish from the main level? If this is so, how do I get it to choose between playing at frame 200, 400, 600... etc... at random??

Thanks again,

W.

Wannabe
    Ihoss you idiot...... space copter + smoke
    if i had a stick to hit you with for calling me an idiot for pointing out that there SHOULD NOT BE ANY SMOKE IN SPACE why, well idiot you see, there is no oxygen in space, get it idiot, now to make smoke you need what idiot, uh oh I think hes coming around, wake up wake up ihoss return from idiot land, thank god your safe now, no stop chewing your morphine drip, nurse, NURSE, HES STILL AN IDIOT

[edit]
    and where did you get that i was talking about going forward from. go figure out what the F-in Z axis is you IDIOT, you seem to be very confused from either, not reading what i wrote correctly, or you just skimmed thru it in a vain attempt to bash me, wtf were you thinking, if you have anything intelligent to offer please do but dont you ever F-in bash me again you half brained dislexic illiterate pothead on fire from eating pie. Dog hath spoken.
    [/edit]
    Last edited by enceenoman; 12-02-2003 at 09:22 PM.

Calm down, enceenoman. No need to burst out like that.

Ihoss
    sorry bout that, but u can actually make smoke in space, as the smoke would freeze solid in the cold. ha

and the reason u cant move in the z direction is because the helicopters stearings been destroyd /when it was hit by an astroid, which is y its smoking).

i find it weird how there can be gravity though, and how does the copter get uplift...

never meant to call u an idiot btw.

lol chill people... now anyone got an idea on that random thing ?

Originally posted by problems4me
    lol chill people... now anyone got an idea on that random thing ?
    Hmm...A little while ago someone posted a similar game which used a random level generator inside a cave. Maybe you should ask them...Although I can remember who it was...

...I *think* it might have been Leight...