A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [f9] Test poker ai

[f9] Test poker ai

Hello,

i am working on a small pokergame with ai. It is not finished yet and still in early alpha state. Anyhow i am wondering how the ai plays so far so if there are any volunteers to do some test runs please step up and thanks a lot!

If you notice any bugs in the hand checking please let me know, also tell me if you think the ai is too easy or too hard ect.

Here is the link!

Like said it is still in early alpha stage, so there is no game menu and the game is running right away once you launched the app. If you loose you can just reload the game or watch the ai play to the end...

How to play: basic texas holdem poker rules

greets and thanks
    I do stuff that does stuff...

J-Force

Nice poker game! I only played for about 5 minutes, not nearly enough to test a poker AI, but the betting at least seemed appropriate for the hands dealt.

I tried a couple of bluffs, didn't work even though the winner only had a pair and there were possible straights or flushes on the boards.

Time to get the turkey going, Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Now tell me whos watchin...... samvillian's Avatar
    its nice. You could make the cpu's wait for like 5 seconds before they call or whatever. Makes it more realistic. Its a nice game though. Poker rocks.

Thanks a lot for the feedback! I modified it a bit, mainly fixing the deadlock when someone wins, adding nicer textures (easier to see what cards you have) and changing overall texture resolution a bit. Also i added a small timeout before the ai does its move which makes it easier to follow the game, like you suggested samvillian. Do you think its too short or too long timedout?

Also do you think the ai should bluff more, raise more or less, do less preflop's or play more carefully in general? There are a few things to improve the ai which are planed, like giving each ai player a slightly different behaviour and preferences ect. although i didn't get to work on that part yet and it might have to wait a little more. Generally i d rather make an ai that is too hard then too easy, because you can always make it easier once you got the tough one going. So if you think it is clearly too easy at the current point let me know and i will try some more tricks with the ai. As a sidenote, the ai is not cheating at any point and the idea is to keep it that way, basically its not fair if the ai has an unfair advantage over the player like seeing his cards, although that would make it easier for the ai to analize when the player is bluffing and when it should/could bluff ect.

Thanks again for the input..
    I do stuff that does stuff...

J-Force

Quote Originally Posted by LeechmasterB
    As a sidenote, the ai is not cheating at any point and the idea is to keep it that way, basically its not fair if the ai has an unfair advantage over the player like seeing his cards, although that would make it easier for the ai to analize when the player is bluffing and when it should/could bluff ect.
    I think the AI should make it's decisions based on the same data available to the player. The AI can learn how the player bets/bluffs as the game progresses, just like the player can learn the same. I live in Las Vegas, and I used to work at Binion's Horseshoe back when it had the WSP. The reason pros haven't been winning the WSP all the time is they don't have the chance to learn how the rookies who do win play their game. They do learn eventually, which is why you don't see rookie repeat winners, but you do see pro repeat winners.

Now tell me whos watchin...... samvillian's Avatar
    well if the poker ai only bluffs or only folds, then its not so human is it? it has to be sometimes bluff sometimes fold sometimes go all in.

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    I would like it if you had to click to start a new hand, that would give you an opportunity to look at other players cards, as it is it goes too quick, so all I know is that "AI 5 won with a pair" by looking at the dialog.

The AI seems pretty decent anyway, good job .

Ali

This is really cool! I like the idea of having AI with different playing charactristics, like having a player that bets and bluffs alot, a conservative player etc, and some average players that are well rounded. I agree with alillm, that you should have to click to see future hands, that way you can see what they won easier. Also, like my project, you need to find a nicer font

Otherwise, this game is very good, and I look forward to seeing future realeses of this game, keep it up!