A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: is Trillix Flash Decompiler the best .fla decompiler?

is Trillix Flash Decompiler the best .fla decompiler?

hi everyone,

one of my longtime clients is a non-profit organization that has 2 main websites, i've been working on those for the last 5 years.

they have just received a new mandate from the government: they will now need to update and maintain 6 already existing microsites, that offer public resources and information for teenagers on several topics of general interest.

those microsites got transfered to the main server now, and we will soon start to receive text updates for them and other various requests for modifications.

most of the microsites use Flash to various extents: some have Flash intros and menus, others have Flash-based Q&A games, etc.

all these sites were created by different design agencies through the years, and it looks like it will be very problematic to track down all the .fla source files that were used to create all this content.

to solve this issue, i've been reviewing several Flash Decompiling solutions and i will soon have to advise my client on the best one to buy for the job, as we move forward with these projects.

so far, i like Trillix Flash Decompiler; it looks like it has all the tools to correctly decompile .swf files into .flas, but i'm not sure that it works as advertised, because the demo doesn't decompile actionscript (it's a demo limitation).

i'd like to have feedback from anyone who has actually used Trillix Flash Decompiler: is it the best solution for decompiling .fla files? are there any show-stopping bugs in the app, etc? if there are such bugs, are there other / better software solutions you'd recommend for the job?

i want to avoid recommending a decompiling solution, paying for the software and then having to go back and say that it doesn't work properly.

thanks to everyone!
    Martin
    Last edited by macmarts; 11-23-2007 at 12:31 PM.

www.*******.com is one of the popular ones out there
    Flashmatics | Flashmatics Library (free downloads)
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Latest Projects:
    The Dead Room | Are You Smarter | Prison Break (Frame A Friend) | Beck's Fusions | The 24 Experience

Flash Certified Developer

Did you mean So think (no space) I think the board may have filtered it??

Also I wouldnt want you to think that a de-compiler WILL reverse all .swf's into working .fla's if the developer used an external resource (a class or images or text files/xml) that you do NOT have... they still will not work properly.

well, i've tried Flash Decompiler in demo mode (no actionscripts, grayscale, etc), and so far the results look both incomplete and unusable.

one of my first tasks will be to remove an annoying sound effect on several buttons of a Flash menu, i've posted the document here:

http://macpixels.com/test/menu-audio.html

when i opened the menu-audio.swf in the decompiler, it created a puzzling .fla, with a library filled with non-working "sprites", and an almost empty workspace, filled with unnamed layers, etc. outputting a new .swf based on this half-baked .fla creates a moribund .swf document that is completely broken.

granted, there might be undecompiled actionscripting that is crippling my attempt, but in any case this result is highly inconclusive.

i will probably be able to circumvent this specific problem by creating a new, empty flash file, loading the original .swf via loadmovie() in it, then adding a "stopallsounds" actionscript in the first frame of my new .fla file, which will mute the annoying sound effects, but obviously i'm going to be back to square one when i get my client's next request for modifications (like adding, renaming or removing a button on this menu, etc).

furthermore, there are 6 different microsites that i'll need to maintain, and they are each featuring several .swf documents that will need to be edited in various ways.

any suggestions?

thanks to all!

You're kinda out of luck for getting the swf to resemble the original fla. You're going to get mc's labeled as sprites with weird names and function names with funny meanings. As far as I know none of the decompilers will give you an easy to work with fla. As much of a hassel as getting the original fla sounds it might take the same amount of time as trying to decompile and re-compile the swf's.But, I might be wrong on that...
    http://code.mneilsworld.com/
    Text Effects | Bubbles | Dynamic Resize
    4 weeks , 20 papers ... thats 2 dollars .....Caassshhh!

Quote Originally Posted by whispers
    Did you mean So think (no space) I think the board may have filtered it??
    Yep cheers thats what i meant.. good guess
    Flashmatics | Flashmatics Library (free downloads)
    Latest Projects:
    The Dead Room | Are You Smarter | Prison Break (Frame A Friend) | Beck's Fusions | The 24 Experience

Flash Certified Developer

AS3 Mod
    I have the full version of Trillix FD. It really does depend on the flash file itself and how it was compiled. If you send me the swf I could tell you if it would be a possibility.

I've had very good experience using Trillix on SWFs we had that we didn't have the original FLA files for. I recommend it.
    ?:-{>

thanks for the feedback guys.

Steve: yes, if you were kind enough to take a look at the .swf, i could send it over by email; it would be great to know if Trillix FD actually works before buying it. should i send it via your website?

maybe the fact that it doesn't decompile actionscripts in demo mode has something to do with the non-usable decompiled result.

by the way, disabling actionscripts is not the brightest way i've ever seen to cripple a demo, if you ask me.

the unusable, watermarked grayscale final output would have been more than enough to make sure people will buy a licence (if the product actually works).

thanks again!

best flash decompiler comparisons

I once wrote a review article comparing several decompilers in order to find the best flash decompiler, check it out perhaps it's useful: http://www.reviewsuniverse.com/best-flash-decompiler/