A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [RESOLVED] Fading text in - Animation effect

Still a newbie at heart

resolved [RESOLVED] Fading text in - Animation effect

Hi, I'm a bit lost because I'm pretty sure I've done this effect before but after numerous attempts I can't get this to work!

I have a line of text which I want to appear gradually from the left. Not like it's being written, but just a gradual fade so it appears slowly from the left.

I hope that makes sense. I have a solid black background and the text is white. So, the big question is how do i this?!

Would appreciate the help as I have sat here for a little while trying this and it doesn't seem to be working!

**Using Flash 8**
    ---------------------

aarif
    its not that hard or i didn't get it what exactly you need.
    still here is a way

write the text
    make it graphic symbol
    move it out of the scene
    after 10 frames add key frame
    then move the text symbol to desired location on scene
    right click on frame one
    then select Motion Tween from menu.
    run your movie (Ctrl+Enter)

This can be done in number of ways by masking,scripting.

maybe try using a movie clip over the top which is coloured the same as the background and uses a gradient to the left where the left most colour is alpha=0

ensure the 'masking' movieclip has a solid area equal to the size of the text and then slowly tween it to the right until it totally clears the text - the text will appear to fade in from the left as the 'mask' reveals the text through the gradient (I say 'mask' as it is of course not a real mask - I do not know how to use gradient masks in flash or if you even can) - for neatness put the whole thing under a real mask the size of the text area.

naturally play around with the size of the gradient and speed of the tween to give the desired effect

hope this helps!
    Last edited by nubz; 11-26-2007 at 05:35 AM.

site check spec: ADSL (UK), PC P4 3Ghz, 1024MB RAM, Res: 1440 X 900, Player: Flash 9, WinXP Home, Firefox 2
    dev spec: Flash 8 Pro, Flash MX 2004, Flash MX

Still a newbie at heart
    nubz - maybe try using a movie clip over the top which is coloured the same as the background and uses a gradient to the left where the left most colour is alpha=0

ensure the 'masking' movieclip has a solid area equal to the size of the text and then slowly tween it to the right until it totally clears the text - the text will appear to fade in from the left as the 'mask' reveals the text through the gradient (I say 'mask' as it is of course not a real mask - I do not know how to use gradient masks in flash or if you even can) - for neatness put the whole thing under a real mask the size of the text area.

naturally play around with the size of the gradient and speed of the tween to give the desired effect

hope this helps!
    Hi Nubz,

This is exactly what i've been trying but it doesnt seem to work for some reason! I am using flash 8 and i'm not sure if thats the problem.

The masking DOES work. It just reveals the text with a block. so there is no gradient

I'm at my wits end because I just can't work out what I could be doing wrong!
    **Using Flash 8**
    ---------------------

it would seem by your description that you are trying to use the gradient within the actual mask, but I say:

A.mask layer = solid block - no animation
    B.first masked layer = long block of bg colour set to be solid for width of text area with large area of (off screen) gradient fading to alpha zero on left
    C.second masked layer = text

timeline would only tween layer B from left to right dragging the gradient over the text - the real mask on layer A stays put

that is of course if you are trying to do what i think you are see:

http://www.nubz.com/fakemask.html for a quick swf i made 4 u - cant seem to post the fla at the moment (temporary flashkit attachment prob)

hth

site check spec: ADSL (UK), PC P4 3Ghz, 1024MB RAM, Res: 1440 X 900, Player: Flash 9, WinXP Home, Firefox 2

Still a newbie at heart
    Yep thats EXACTLY the type of effect I'm trying to achieve!!

Ok, let me give it a go and i'll get back to you.....
    **Using Flash 8**
    ---------------------

Still a newbie at heart
    Nubz you're an absolute genius!!

Thank u so much! I finally got it working after following your mini tutorial.

Who would have thought such a simple gradient effect could have caused so much aggravation!

Ok, so one question i have. Why do you have to put a mask on top of the gradient tween. Why doesn't it just work with a gradient tween as the actual mask?
    **Using Flash 8**
    ---------------------

np

the real mask is just for neatness so you can put it all in a movieclip anywhere on the stage without the fake mask getting in the way of anything else nearby....

Still a newbie at heart
    aaah ok i understand.

Well thanks once again. Saved me hours and hours of trying and failing!
    **Using Flash 8**
    ---------------------