A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arena Events 2008

Arena Events 2008

There seem to be only 2 major events in the arena every year:
    March Madness
    and
    Roll Canvas

These two events usually bleed into each other, and was wondering if we should n't start spacing them out and prepping for 2008 now in order to give a little balance.
    Also, Red vs Blue has been a lot of fun and personally I hope it will be repeated again next year.

I was also kinda thinking, since we have three events shouldn't we have a fourth? One for each season? ... I was thinking Vector theme?

I know I'm jumping the gun here, but I enjoy the arena events, and want to be able to clear some time for them, so that I know when I need to tell the real world to FK off for a few weeks.

Thoughts?

i'm hoping we can bring back the calendar contest again. That was a blast, and to have something in hand with the communities work is just awesome.

I agree about spacing MM & RC a bit further apart. Obviously RC would have to be pushed back as to not interfere with the timing of MM. But, seeing how long it took for this RC to be completed...who knows when we'll all be up for another one.

We do have the R v B...that could be reoccurring and wouldn't be too hard to coordinate. we can keep swapping events out as they get tired....

...maybe we can replace the RC this year with another Pixel art world. And then in the summer time we can figure out what we'd like to do for a community wide vector event. I'd be open for a community photo battle of sorts. Maybe some sort of mosiac?

I love the idea of doing more events and totally agree with Lefteye that we should bring back the calendar. The things where the whole community gets involved are always the most fun. (Rollcanvas, MM, calendar, Kung Fu, Red vs. Blue, Open Battles, ...)

Heres a couple of ideas:

Vector Art (Nats will kill us on this one )

RollQuilt: instead of images in a strait line, we make a 4x4 quilt of images

ZoomCanvas: Like rollcanvas except each person must use a scaled down version (maybe 100x100) of the previous image so it would give the effect that all the images are inside of each other.

Color Battle: Each person gets a color as the central theme for the image.

just some random ideas....

Good ideas... the vector battle(s) to replace the RC. The Red vs. Blue is basically a civil war to shake up and play with the lineups that we have... all just to have fun while talking trash.

March Madness... it's here to stay. The Kung-Fu thread... here to stay.

A lot of other open battles need to be "promoted" better to maintain activity. But as far as it goes, I'd love to see some fresh new ideas. Keep 'em coming...

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Quote Originally Posted by lefteyewilly
    I'd be open for a community photo battle of sorts. Maybe some sort of mosiac?
    i'd totally be up for something along those lines. might even manage to pull in some of the photography forum people....

I like the idea of the RollQuilt. We've been trying to get one started here at work too. I would be a really cool challenge.

A vertical mural would be cool too...but only if the images were really wide and short. Like 950 x 150.

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

I concur on the quilt idea. More challenge and twice as fun.

Ill start a quilt up if more people are interested. Also, after the center person goes, we can have 4 people at a time go working outward which would be cool.

sounds like some cool ideas I was also thinking of. The roll canvas theme is a success but this time with a slight twist to it. I figured since I was in the military and I know how important it can be to get mail if it was possible to create something for all branches and some how get that mural them or get the link to them to be able to view. Just to try and uplift those that are still over there.
    "What do you call a mouse's Shadow in the second moon?"

Hi guys. Long time no see!

Nats:
    Aww, Nat's you said that RC was a 'major event' that's suprisingly somewhat a complement! The last one went rather stale though... which is a shame. I suggested on the thread I just started that we should do an 'endless RC', which features absolutely no need for commitment by anyone. General consensus?

Also, vector theme??... Nat's, you'll bury us!

Dric:
    Rollquilt: It sounds like a challenge and lots of fun, but I imagine the end result would look strange... it would basically be a big quilt of volley transitions and no room for subject mater... :S

Also, unless properly planned, some people might end up needing to stitch all four sides in one volley... ouch!

Zoomcanvas: You mean 'Zoomquilt?' (google it...). It's been done... which is a shame because it would be lotsa fun. I'm just looking at their final result now... it's gorgeous! Haha I just discovered a new optical illusion too... if you zoom constantly for about a minute or so and then stop suddenly, the middle slowly oozes back into position... oww, my eyes...

Color battle: Or prehaps even something like the Red vs. Blue battle, but with six teams (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple) and people pick their favourite color as their team. Each team would have about 3 people on each, and we get an open poll at the end to decide the most superior team? Just an idea...

Me:
    A few ideas:

-20 strokes:
    (Variation one)
    Start with a blank canvas, and people take turns at only adding a maximum of 20 photoshop paintstrokes (of any color and any reasonable thickness) to the canvas, building a dangerously random final image. Participants use their best judgement to better the canvas as much as possible.

(Variation two)
    A battle in which all participants must submit a blank canvas with only 20 paintstrokes. Like some kind of minimalist art contest?

-3D+photoshop battle?
    Participants volley 3D rendered images back and forth. I imagine there will only be a few possible players here...

-Airbrush Wars
    Participants are all given the same base image (full body un-airbrushed stock photo of a woman) and players must do everything they can to make the stock more 'attractive' (judged by poll on 'realism' and 'attractiveness')

Finally, I had an idea for a prize for March Madness... because March is still ages away we've got time to orginize this. Why don't we make the final prize a card with the names and signatures of all of the MM participants? One person gets it started, and we keep mailing it to the next person until we have collected all the signatures. The last person would be EVP or Gerbs, who keeps it and distributes the card to the winner at the end. I think that would be a perfect prize!

More later. ciao!
    "Good lord, you're wasting thousands of dollars worth of Interferon!"
    "... and you're Interferon with our good time!"

me against shane mielke

just kiddin'

...dishing dimes on an .fla! pointguard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lefteyewilly
    ...maybe we can replace the RC this year with another Pixel art world.
    I loved the pixel twon thing we did a while back...Definatly hope that starts up again...

Quote Originally Posted by pointguard
    I loved the pixel twon thing we did a while back...Definatly hope that starts up again...
    Me too. Id really like to do another one of those.

that zoomQuilt is pretty cool. Id never seen it before. That was the exact idea i was thinking of(link to it)

Certainly interested in seeing all the ideas spawned this year, for some reason I get the feeling it's going to be a good one for the Arena.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

<3
    I love vector battles. I'm a big fan of vectors.

Those horizontal/vertical collage collaborations (where one person creates an image and another creates a new one but it has to merge with the sides) are always fun to participate in and watch. I was in a horizontal one with another FKer.

What about inter-forum battles?

Planet Claire Embassator herr_dada's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Benedetta
    I love vector battles. I'm a big fan of vectors.

Those horizontal/vertical collage collaborations (where one person creates an image and another creates a new one but it has to merge with the sides) are always fun to participate in and watch. I was in a horizontal one with another FKer.

What about inter-forum battles?
    I'm in with the vector and inter forum battles.

I had some interesting idea the other day. We could do a Font Fight. Something like, start with an image with just a font (helvetica or another simple font) and each volley ppl would add elements just using black and white (or something like that). it would be basically a vector fight aswell
    I'm so fashion, everytime I fart, Prada releases a new fragance!

I'm keeping my ideas to myself so lefteye doesn't steal them.

Did i tell you that lefteye is awesome?
    Last edited by lefteyewilly; 03-03-2008 at 10:44 PM.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe_80z
    Last edited by lefteyewilly : Today at 02:44 AM.
    lol

I was thinking about the March Madness layout, and then it came to me, why dont we do a "reverse madness"?

Start with a stock image and each volley 2 ppl pick it up to make 2 new volleys and each of those volleys give origin to 2 more.

No point to it really, just multiplying the fun xD

<3
    Quote Originally Posted by herr_dada
    I'm in with the vector and inter forum battles.
    If FK ever decides to do one, I would jump aboard. Yarrrr