A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [F8] Thumbnails for FLV files - is there an easy way???

[F8] Thumbnails for FLV files - is there an easy way???

Greetings all.
    I'm creating a video player, and want previews of all the available videos for the user to click on.
    Is there an easy, programmatic way to display a thumbnail of the video w/o actually loading the whole video or playing it?

I was going to do just do .jpg thumbnails of each, but i figured i'd ask to see if there was a more streamlined way...

TIA.

That would be it! I would make a SS or capture the .flv image, then optimize! OPTIMIZE! you can vector the image if you want. This would save it from being in the library with a file size.

if i have to do that, i will, but ultimately, this is all going to be updated and maintained by someone else - so i want to make it as streamlined as possible for them...
    i'm thinking there has to be a way to load just a frame of each flv (say from 100 for an example, since the first frame of most clips is usually a solid color...). And display just that frame... i just don't know how to do that.

have a look at :: Thumbnail Video Gallery :: in my library..hopefully that will help
    Flashmatics | Flashmatics Library (free downloads)
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Latest Projects:
    The Dead Room | Are You Smarter | Prison Break (Frame A Friend) | Beck's Fusions | The 24 Experience

-----------------------------------------------------
    Flash Certified Developer

First, to streamline the site, you will want to optimize. There is no way to stop to do what you are doing and have it load in a "streamline" fashion. You can have a .flv file stop at frame one, but that is crazy. My suggestion is to color the first frame or .flv files or set a system so each .flv relates to a color. Then you have no issues at all, but to have an image for a thumb (the point of which is to have as optimized as possible), then there is no other way but to have them use a .jpg or image format or vector the image (period).

silentweed, kudos on the site. Very cool to see. Not the place to post this, but it ties into your post, kind'a. I have a question about mySQL: would the change for the guest book post work on the basic mySQL package? As I am a major noob on the topic of mySQL, can the demo be used to change the data, but used after the expiration?

Just wondering as the Flash server side is sooooo expensive.