dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Pimp] Model City

[Pimp] Model City

Squize's post about the release of The Game Of Life made me realize that we still have something interesting to show: Model City, done for Disney & Siemens.

Save Model City!
    This metropolis is headed for disaster – and you, the Siemens SuperHero can help!
    Fight germs, conserve energy and create alternate fuels to transform this city into a healthier and happier place to live!
    You can play the game(s) HERE

Enjoy!

[Credits (FK members only)]
    - Art: myself (except for the game "PuriFighters")
    - Engine: Squize ("Fuel Factory" + "Model City" (from scratch))
    - Engine: IP ("Power Savers" (fixes/additions from a 5 years old code, woohoo!))
    - Engine: myself ("Power Savers" and fixes/changes in all the other games (this happens a lot when the client asks X, then Y, then X again... Then Z instead))

[Edit]
    Oh great, I just tested the link, "This site is temporarily too busy to process your request. Please try again later.". Excellent, I guess youll have to wait before playing

"This site is temporarily too busy to process your request. Please try again later."

Worst.

Project.

Ever.

Fuel Factory is a bit good though

Squize.

Worst.
    Project.
    Ever.
    Yes... I was naive enough to think that the curse would end after the games are released, but... no.

Fuel Factory is a bit good though .
    Yep

Site seems to be back up now mate. It's like it's trying to redeem itself

Squize.

Student
    good job on the graphics

ditto
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    It's like you enjoy tearing open old wounds. I guess I should be proud, but that game is nothing but nightmares. And yes, FF is pretty addictive.

Game Player - Developer scheletro's Avatar
    Great graphics, great gaem, I love simple game play and lovely graphics, those are my kind of games

"I love to make them as I love to play them"

... and another 30 minutes of precious time "wasted" ...

who shall I send the bill to?

nGFX

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    This project really came together nicely. You've got 3 excellent games.

Fuel Factory is my fave. Excellent design, art and everything. I got disappointed because the stages didn't get any harder near the end. I'd love to see a more fleshed out "spiritual successor" to this game in the future.

Power-savers is a neat little game. Control could use some tweaking but it's very fun. I'd like to see a successor to this game as well. Reminds me of Marmotte's NES-style adventure game.

I didn't finish Purifighters because I'm a poor Dr. Mario player and playing it sideways disorients me.

Once again, excellent work all around. I'm really digging the artwork.

I like the way the games tie into the concepts very well. I'm curious as to how that kind of collaboration worked with the client? I would imagine that they'd write out a list of topics that need to be covered and you guys work together to see how you can fit gameplay into those ideas. This came out great and I'm interested in learning how it turned out so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Bryce
    I'm curious as to how that kind of collaboration worked with the client?

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotte
    (this happens a lot when the client asks X, then Y, then X again... Then Z instead
    We were pretty lucky if it was only asking a few things. The clients changed their minds so many times. I do know that Squize took the list of things to do for FF and wrote the game from scratch. I, on the other hand, was handed 10 year old AS1 code and the glitchiest engine I've ever seen. I made do but countless times we thought it was done they kept asking for more...

FF would work nicely as a browser based Wii game, that would be a nice way to reuse the engine.

It was a very challenging project due to the clients amends, and perhaps isn't coherent a package as we would have liked ( Puri-Fighters being provided virtually complete ) but it does convey the brand message well.

That's me being all professional

Squize.

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squize
    FF would work nicely as a browser based Wii game, that would be a nice way to reuse the engine.

It was a very challenging project due to the clients amends, and perhaps isn't coherent a package as we would have liked ( Puri-Fighters being provided virtually complete ) but it does convey the brand message well.

That's me being all professional

Squize.
    Way to go, blue.

And great job to the both of you... I'll look later..

This having an offspring thing is very time consuming...

...Maybe I'll take some time later and explain how the project was behind the scenes (I'm just super busy with another project with Squize, again ).

But, this is the engine they provided for "Power Savers" (the platform game);
    > http://www.skabooki.com/games/mjg_mars_new.swf
    I think that the difference is huge. You can compare the gameplay, playability ...etc.
    Oh, and the engine. Yuk!!! You should see the code, that's insane; the player needs to check invisible hitBoxes even when it has to check if it's off-screen (so yeah, if you go out of the screen too fast, the game doesn't know you are out of screen). Also, the whole stage and all the animations are running no matter where you are in the map! The code was written everywhere, in MovieCips, subMCs, subsubMCs, we had to add a pause feature, sound on/off ...etc ...etc

Also, this one was supposed to become "Fuel Factory", but there was so much new features missing that Squize decided to rewrite it (we should have done that with "Power Savers" too, I guess ):
    > http://members.learningplanet.com/ac...robot/free.asp

PuriFighter (the only game we didn't have to alter except for the city integration) compiled into .swf was more than 20mb ...etc

To make it short: the client approached me/us and asked "can you reskin 3 games? only the art side.", and it ended with totally different games, with new features, new codes, and new sound FX + BGM. That, and the whole city integration

Oh, did I mention that it was over-budget?
    Last edited by marmotte; 12-10-2007 at 05:39 PM.

Maybe I'll take some time later and explain how the project was behind the scenes (I'm just super busy with another project with Squize, again ).
    I'm always here.

But, this is the engine they provided for "Power Savers" (the platform game);
    > http://www.skabooki.com/games/mjg_mars_new.swf
    I think that the difference is huge. You can compare the gameplay, playability ...etc.
    Oh, and the engine. Yuk!!! You should see the code, that's insane; the player needs to check invisible hitBoxes even when it has to check if it's off-screen (so yeah, if you go out of the screen too fast, the game doesn't know you are out of screen). Also, the whole stage and all the animations are running no matter where you are in the map! The code was written everywhere, in MovieCips, subMCs, subsubMCs, we had to add a pause feature, sound on/off ...etc ...etc
    I'm getting white knuckled looking at the difference. So sick the code they gave me to deal with. Didn't turn out to bad though.

Also, this one was supposed to become "Fuel Factory", but there was so much new features missing that Squize decided to rewrite it (we should have done that with "Power Savers" too, I guess ):
    > http://members.learningplanet.com/ac...robot/free.asp
    At least it was similar to the finished product, unlike PS. Not to mention playable.

Oh, did I mention that it was over-budget?
    And behind schedule by like what, 6 weeks?

Nice game guys, great work!