A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [F9] Im new to Flash and Game Development - Suggestions for First Game?

[F9] Im new to Flash and Game Development - Suggestions for First Game?

Hi all,
    Im a noob in Flash and Game development. What game would you suggest I try to create first? I want to start small to learn the basics - then maybe move onto more complex projects.

Thanks

AM

...dishing dimes on an .fla! pointguard's Avatar
    Welcome to the boards!
    You'll find people on here are really helpful. I'd suggest reading the sticky thread on here entitled "Knowledge Base". it's agood place to start for links on different aspects on game making.
    The most important thing if your totally new to flash is to just experiment with it, start by working through the tutorials in flash itself, and then work through ones you can find on here and other flash community sites.

Make sure you have a thorough understanding of the basics of flash itself before starting out trying to make games...

Good luck and make sure you visit these boards reguarly.
    Jeff

Thanks for the warm welcome, although I must confess I am a member of this forum for a while now and I've been experimenting with trying to make a simple game which turned out to be less simple than I first thought - so I thought its time to back to the basics and start all over again. The reason why I re-joined was becuase I wanted a fresh start and because I wanted to get serious about making games in flash so I instead of using an alias I thought I'd join with my actual name.

Thanks again for the advice. I will take it on board.

BTW - you might ask why am I saying that im a noob when clearly im not. Thats simply because I still dont know anyithing about how to create games (or anything else for that matter) in flash and Ive never been able to create anything workable in flash as of yet. Please feel free to suggest anything - it will be most welcome.

Banned
    Hello!!!

I am also struggling with making game ideas (I only know a few things with actionscript, like how to make arrow key movment ...or any key actully, and hitTest...My fav., and a few other things)

I am not sure if this helps you, but....

I love adventure strategy games....soooo....you could make a "Escape series: escape from an island" game...I have a series already...its called "Escape from the islandart one-Turtle Speed"...
    /\
    //\\
    ///\\\
    -----
    Here are some tips:

1. make an outline of the game first...For example:

INTRUCTIONS

level 2: through the river

level 3: over the bridge

and stuff like that...

2. make another outline of how the player will look and move...For example:

Arrow keys...No self defense...can swim through water but not deep water...

And stuff like that...

3. make another oultine of how the player will see the virtual world...For example:

TOP VIEW...or...SIDE VIEW...or...SLIGHTLY TOP VIEW BUT TILTED....

and stuff like that....

So sorry if I repeated "stuff like that"

Hope this helps!
    here the link to my game post:

http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...2&goto=newpost

Cheers HOPELESS. You're not as hopeless as your name makes you out to be ... just kidding

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to check out the link.

Banned
    Oh, if you need any help...Heres my email:

lennybird1996@hotmail.com

And you look like you are very good in actionscript...could you give me you email...so I can ask for help?

Cheers back to you!

Thanks for offering your email. I wish you were right about me being very good with actionscript - unfortunately thats just not true. But if you still feel like contacting me for help - i wont mind you PM-ing me on this forum.

Oh - and good luck with your game!

Banned
    Ok, you could atleast go to my foroum (don't know if i spelled it right)

Cheers again (I think I will say cheers alot, Weee...Cheers)

I have gone to your forum.

Banned
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mumin_abdul
    BTW - you might ask why am I saying that im a noob when clearly im not. Thats simply because I still dont know anyithing about how to create games (or anything else for that matter) in flash and Ive never been able to create anything workable in flash as of yet. Please feel free to suggest anything - it will be most welcome.
    Like I said before, start with working through tutorials first.

You said you haven't been able to create anything workable in flash yet - what about the real basics, (buttons, movie clips, etc)...Read as much as you can from the flash help files - most of the time you will find the answers to your questions when your starting out, in the help files which come with flash.

Other than that, try looking through the posts in the 'newbie' and 'general help' forums on the boards. You can learn a lot in there. there's no point trying to build games in flash without having to be able to create anything workable in flash before!

--- why not try just building a real small website first in flash? - to get used to the way movie clips and buttons interact with each other. gives you practice with actionscript too...

good luck

Banned
    Hello!!!

this is my 2nd or 3rd post (I feel so good!)

but I think hopeless put it well!

bye-bye!

~kayla

Banned
    Also, pointguard put it well to...pointguard, keep helping!

bye-bye

~kayla

Thanks for the advice guys.

Banned
    Your welcome!

~kayla

I think people need to stop using these threads like they are chat rooms!

Use msn or aol for that...

How much more help do you need other than going and trying some stuff out...When you actually have something and it doesn't work, then post the .fla and people will more likely help you out then.

unless we have a couple of sockpuppets on here!?!

*this thread it's a bit pointless until you have a specfic question or example of your work you need help on...

OK. Sorry about that. Will post a new thread when i have something concrete to work on.

Professional Flash Developer
    When I first began to to make games, I decided to find a simple game I liked and start there. If you start with a game like Asteroids (for example) that you really like to play, you will find yourself doing as much research as possible to create to good version of the game. It is best to start very small and work yourself up to bigger and better things. The more different games you make the better your mental tool set will be. Eventually you will have to confidence and skills to tackle something grand, but wait until you really have the time and knowledge to do it. Otherwise, you will frustrate yourself and stop working. Playing games is fun and easy, making them is fun but very time consuming and difficult. Event simple games are much more difficult to code than your standard business database application (I should know, that was my life for way too many years).

Start small, with something you love, get that feeling of accomplishment (like when you first level up in an RPG) and then continue to progress.

-Jeff

Developer
    The first thing I ever made in Flash (ever) was a single level scrolling shooter (This was after two years in a programming uni course). A scrolling shooter is extremely easy to make and you'll learn a lot from making it. Plus there are plenty of tutorials on how to make them.
    now known as dVyper