dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Long time no see! | Endless Rollcanvas? | News (to me)

Long time no see! | Endless Rollcanvas? | News (to me)

Well hello Arena FK'ers!

It's certainly been a while! I've decided to sucumb to my inability to focus on my damned freelance work and thought it would be nice to pay ya'll a visit. So what's new? Have I missed anything? Hows everyones careers? Whys the sky blue? Did anyone miss me? Are you kids going to remember where we parked?

After a half hourish FK lurking session, I see that the RollCanvas has finally came to an end! Just in time for my retirement It's a shame it didn't work out this time around. Is everyone sick the RC concept already?

I was thinking of starting up an 'endless RollCanvas' thread which I may have mentioned earlier (I'd need to explain the rules, but it's basically a cross between the 'Kung fu' thread and RollCanvas).

The best part of having an endless RollCanvas would be that nobody needs to commit to anything at all, people just make a 'heads-up' post immediately prior to making their volley (just to make sure that there are no double ended canvas sections), send the full image to the canvas-hosts' e-mail account, and post the strips on the thread. Then every new years' the canvas host unveils all the entrys each year and the thread continues...

What would you guys think of that? Should I start it up? Is it too soon? etc...

Anyways, regarding the other events, I see the 'Red vs. Blue' thread... there's some fantastic volleys getting laid down over there. I hear EVP has gotten himself a game store... curse me for living in Australia! DQS and FK have thrown it down once more... *****in' volleys there too! Realmakc started up his 'pointless flash' thread which I would love to join, but couldn't justify even beginning to play with with all of my freelance work going on... *sigh*

I was actually about to discuss March Madness in this thread, but I see Nat's has taken the initiative of starting a 2008 events thread, so no need... I'll take my discussion over there...

It was great to see what you guys were up to again... I'll try and regular FK Arena for at least a couple of days, so drop a message and let me know how ya'll are doing!
    "Good lord, you're wasting thousands of dollars worth of Interferon!"
    "... and you're Interferon with our good time!"

Helloooo! Sunshine hurting your eyes, is it? :P

So the endless canvas would be more like an open battle? Just let it keep rolling?
    Its a good idea, but I think it would be a bit of a pain in the arse for anyone who had to admin the thread: Updating the canvas every time some one volleys, adjusting levels and colours for the seams.

Still, I quite like the idea.

-_-
    I think its a good idea, but I think we should just show the volleys, instead of just showing last 100px. That would mean less moderating of the thread.

Hi Nats,

Well, we had a lot of sucess with the .jpg Rollcanvases... I think they prehaps are the way to go. There wasn't any problems with levels at all when we used .jpgs. Also, the admin only has to add the images to a web interface once a year... so it isn't too much of a backbreaker. We could still do what Adobemedia said though...

Hi Adobe,

We could I guess. Each aspect has its pro's and cons. I'd love to get a poll started on this, but I think mods are the ones who can only start polls... :S

Poll: What style of 'endless rollcanvas' would you prefer?
    1: [Open] No moderation required, but all volleys are completely visible (no 'suprises')
    2: [Closed] A moderator collects all full volleys and adds a years worth of volleys on a site every year. Participants only post the 100px(?) strips
    "Good lord, you're wasting thousands of dollars worth of Interferon!"
    "... and you're Interferon with our good time!"

Cool ideas,

I think a year would be way too long to wait...maybe update it every 2 months or so to keep it going. If nobody updated it for a year, i think the excitement would die down kind of like it did while we waited for the last Roll Canvas to finish up.

Keeping it open would be cool. Waiting for a year would be way too long.

A third option would be to do the 100px preview, then have a moderator post the whole image once the following image has been submitted. This way, people dont have to wait forever to see images, but they also wont be able to see what the previous image was when making the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dricciotti
    A third option would be to do the 100px preview, then have a moderator post the whole image once the following image has been submitted. This way, people dont have to wait forever to see images, but they also wont be able to see what the previous image was when making the next one.
    i like this idea, and i often thought it might help the regular roll canvas. thought i still think just a running mural battle without blind leaves would be awesome. the blind leaves are a unique challenge, but i'd like to think that the volleys and final product would be even better if we could see the images we are building from.

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog Photos Book