A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Annoying, but non-critical bug: A file found in a source-path must have an [...]

Annoying, but non-critical bug: A file found in a source-path must have an [...]

I work on some complex (multiple files) Flex 2 project in Flex Builder V2.01, and from time to time the Flex Builder seems to lose itself - it displays an error message:
    A file found in a source-path must have an externally visible definition. If a definition in the file is meant to be externally visible, please put the definition in a package. {and here comes some project name}
    When this message shows up, it doesn't allow to compile the project.

The first time it appeared, it took me much time and frustration, because I didn't understand what it really meant (I still dont) and how am I supposed to fix it. But it turned out, that apparently there isn't any error at all in my project files. I choose Project/Clean in Flex Builder, which rebuilds the whole project and after that the error message is gone and I can compile again.

The situation keeps repeating every few hours, which is somewhat annoying, but every time I just use Project/Clean to get rid of it. So if you have it too, you know what to do.

Still, does anybody know a better cure (or any sensible reason) for that?

Yeah, I'm using flash CS4 and I have the same problem. Except unfortunately, I don't have a project clean button like you do, so I'm stuck! I can't get external AS files to work if they aren't in the same folder as the FLA!
    In the process of designing a quirky little game engine called gulp. Check out it's progress below: @ my blog.

---

Check out my blog at XenElement.com

How do you try to import the as files? Are they class definitions or just plain external AS scripts? In case of class definitions, do you have class path defined properly?

I actually resolved this, my problem was that of all the things I tried, I didnt define the class path correctly.

I tried:

/Classes/
    /Classes
    ./Classes/
    /Classes/.
    .Classes
    Classes
    Classes/

Of course, it was the one I didn't try.

./Classes

So I got it fixed. I still don't really get external AS3 though.
    In the process of designing a quirky little game engine called gulp. Check out it's progress below: @ my blog.

---

Check out my blog at XenElement.com

Quote Originally Posted by XenElement View Post
    I still don't really get external AS3 though.
    What you mean by that? Didn't your solution resolve the problem?