A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: older flash with newer versions

older flash with newer versions

Hi, I am a newbie to flash 8 and flashkit forums. My problem is this. I have a flash website. I host quite a few .swf games which I did not create and are older versions of flash. I wish to embed the games into my current flash 8 swf via buttons I create in my fla. When I try to load them into the swf(either with the "loadMovie" script or by using the "create new Movie Clip loader) they will load into the main swf, but will not function. Any ideas?

OOP is one letter from OOPS kortex's Avatar
    Were these previously loaded into other movie, or did they function as standalone pieces?
    Jeremy Wischusen
    Flash - Flex - LAMP - Web Developer Purple Inc
    AS OOP FAQ-Best Practices Thread | Flashkit OOP Tutorials | Purple Inc (day job) | Blog

Were they written so that they are requesting from _level0.functionName?

If they are, being loaded into a higher level of another movie will cause the _level0 to be pointing to the parent rather than your games.

And to asnwer the question that was implied, I have used lots of old stuff and using it in newer flash has never caused problems that the trace outputs didn't make obvious.

They are standalone. I'm not sure I know what you mean by the level_0.function

OOP is one letter from OOPS kortex's Avatar
    _level0 or _root

When you load a movie into another movie, _root or _level0 now references to the movie that the sub movie is being loaded into. Hence any references to _root in the loaded movie that used to point to that movie now point to the parent movie.

So the quick fix it to set _lockroot = true on the clip that gets loaded. Such as
    holder_mc._lockroot = true
    where holder_mc is the movie clip that the sub clips are being loaded into.
    Jeremy Wischusen
    Flash - Flex - LAMP - Web Developer Purple Inc
    AS OOP FAQ-Best Practices Thread | Flashkit OOP Tutorials | Purple Inc (day job) | Blog

That's the Ticket, Kortex. You guys are the best.

Thanks to both of you