A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: The Castle Doctrine allows law-abiding citizens attacked in their own homes.....

The Castle Doctrine allows law-abiding citizens attacked in their own homes.....

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5362232.html

Talk of the Nation
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=17460253

Horn had no right, he wasn't in any danger, just a trigger happy. In a way this is premetated.

I really can't believe this guy, what an idiot.
    All out of Honey Buffers, so i grabed a few Goose Heads

Forceful entry into this house will end with forceful entry of bullets into the intruders body.

But to go out and shoot a person that's on the premises... that's too much - I'm assuming it's the same story I had read about earlier. Your first link didn't work for me.

Oh well... I'm quite sure the Eurotopians, Aussie and Cannuckians will have differing opinions on this...

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Try the link again, it has all the 911 recordings, absolutly crazy. "Here I go, I am going out now, "cocks his shotgun" hear that? Thats my shotgun" LOL

It was the same story as I was thinking about... didn't know the dude's name though.

Yeah... "I'm going out..." = premeditated in anybody else's book... but Texas perhaps.

Seriously. I had somebody one time try to come into my house forcibly mainly because the idiot was horribly drunk. Nothing like two, licensed guns being pointed at you to sober you up real quick.

But I didn't go outside, follow the fool and shoot him in the back. I called the cops, they got the drunk bastard off my front porch and asked me for my identification. The story ends there.

But a swift kick from him would have ended as swiftly. That dude, Horn... he was indeed trigger happy.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

It's not what I would have done. But, when you go around brazenly stealing things from peoples homes, you open yourself up to whatever people are going to feel they need to do to protect themselves and their neighborhood. Crime doesn't pay.

Also, a citizen should have the right to confront people committing crimes. It isn't cut and dry that Horn was not threatened in some way once he went outside.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

So basically you can shoot anyone who's on your property and claim afterwards (tell the cops) that they were burglars?

I would never shoot anyone not in my house, but if they entered my house and refused to leave, then yes, maybe. But I probably wouldn't shoot to kill. A shot in the leg would stop them. Only problem then is that there would be two opposing stories.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusVS
    So basically you can shoot anyone who's on your property and claim afterwards (tell the cops) that they were burglars?
    I must remember that the next time my "friend" comes over to "borrow" more of my s**t.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusVS
    You could. But, people have tried that before and the police figure it out. Shootings tend to be looked at closely by the police, regardless of the stories given.

Look closely all they like no case is still no case.

States and counties have varying laws on home invasion especially when the homeowner is present.

In oakland county all one has to do was say they felt threatened. The county states if your not safe in your own home your not safe anywhere. So long as there is no evidence of torture is present you can use any means at your disposal to protect your person and property.

Then don't illegally break in to someones house or threaten to harm people. That doesn't happen accidentally.

Anyway, sometimes there's a case and sometimes there's not. Generally depends on whether or not the person is full of bs.

Frets is correct, there are many laws in each state, Texas being one of the weird ones. In Utah they would have to be in your house, and I mean IN not at the door step.

If you listen to the TOTN link at the top there are some really good points. Thats the whole point of that show; talking about the laws in different states for essentially the same type of crime and selfdefense.

People can confront crimes all they want but shooting people opens an entire can of worms, it really boils down to "did you fell threatend" and the courts will make the case based on your story.

I'm 5'6" 110#

If I throw a party in my home and some guest(invited or uninvited) becomes unruly I will eject him. If force is required I will use any means at my disposal. My stature does not allow for second chances.

What's odd is self defense laws in my county when it comes to outside the home. You options are flee and restrain. One can only defend with as much force as needed to stop the current attack, in other words you can't hit back. You can block you can pin. If someone throws a combination then steps back you can not follow thru becase that attack has stopped.

I don't think he should get in trouble for stopping a crime. Even though it wasn't on his property, I think he should be rewarded for caring enough about his neighborhood enough to actually defend it against crime. Nobody will rob **** around there anymore. I would be more than honored to have him as my neighbor.