A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: DataGrid or anything like it?

DataGrid or anything like it?

I'm a sort of jack-of-all-trades. I'm dabbling in Flash right now, and I don't have the 1500 bucks to buy the whole adobe suite, so I'm making do with 3DFA. Nice program. I was just wondering, though -- I need something like a spreadsheet in one of my flash animations. It needs to be updatable, and clickable, and sortable, and all that, and it would be helpful if it could be populated by an XML document. From my research, it appears that Adobe Flash has some sort of importable component called a DataGrid that is just what I am looking for. Is there anything in 3DFA like the Flash DataGrid? Does anybody know of any workarounds for such an idea? Thanks!

By scripting that is possible but at the moment no-one has done that kind of component. In (near?) future once opensource element system is finished I think we will see lot of user created elements/components in 3dfa.

About that...

Just off the cuff, how would you go about scripting a spreadsheet-type display? Text boxes and movable layers?

Yes thats about what simple datagrid needs, Layer as a container, cloned textboxes for data, and if needed, mayby lines to separate columns and act as "column width adjusting handlers"..

You do not need to clone textboxes. Use the TextField class, instead. It has the same power as a textbox but much more scriptable.
    Cheers,
    kusco
    (3DFA Support Team)