A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Developing games=crap money+ wasted time

Developing games=crap money+ wasted time

Designing and Developing flash games=crap money+ wasted time!
    So what do you think about this ? Crap money confession...

FK founder & general loiterer Flashkit's Avatar
    sometimes yes.... sometimes no
    Most of my games I do for fun and then if someone buys them bonus but I do other freelance work as well to fill the coffers
    Regards Mark Fennell - Flash Kit Founder, general loiterer
    -------------------------------
    I Hate Zombies - iPhone Game | markfennell.com

I think you've chosen the wrong job.

The Champ Philosophy, as applied to gaming;

We need games. Hell, I need games. I'm a mess without games. I miss games so damn much. I miss being with games, I miss being near games. I miss their laugh. I miss their scent; I miss their musk.

When this all gets sorted out, I think games and I should get an apartment together.

It's true..I brought sexy back smith1302's Avatar
    Sometimes you dont get as much money as you would like.. but I wouldn't say it is a waste of time at all. Besides, Ive made a good little profit from making games. It all depends on how much effort you put into your games though. You put nothing in, you get nothing out.
    Hey check out my arcade sites!
    Ninja Games | WW2 Games

Money is not my motive for making games.

Sure, money is great when you get it, but games, like any other art form, should be made because you love the medium rather than because you want to turn a profit.

So, if it's money you want, I suggest you put your mind to more productive uses. Figure out new ways to exploit people, always put personal gain above anything else, after all, that's what really matters.

As for me, I'll continue dabbling with my unprofitable, pointless occupation of free time.

Perhaps I'm being a little over-the-top. I make games because I love making games, it all comes down to that.

I think if you make enoug games for enough years and you put your heart into every one sooner or later you'll score the big $$$. Make crap games and you'll get crap money unless you're just damn lucky. That's about it, bud.

I don't really get the point of this thread, esp. so soon after this epic: http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=754354

Is this just a "I've not made any decent money yet so what's the point" bitc'h ?

As Kris said, if you make crap then expect to get paid crap. As C404 said, you can tell when a game is written with the joy of writing it, it shines through.

Everyone starts by making peanuts, it's just life. You'll write games that crap all over games done by digital design agencies with huge budgets and get next to nothing for them. But it doesn't stay like that for ever.

Now I've got to go, I'm busy tiling the west wing bath room with gold.

Squize.

No, there is no money in making games at all. Of course that makes me wonder why we just advertised a 70k+ a year job where you got to work from home making games all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by webgeek
    No, there is no money in making games at all. Of course that makes me wonder why we just advertised a 70k+ a year job where you got to work from home making games all day long.
    There ya go, there's a flaw to your "Developing games=crap money+ wasted time" opinion

I can only wish that I could've been able to apply for that job.

It's true..I brought sexy back smith1302's Avatar
    I think the reason only reason you think making games is a waste of time is because u do it soley for the money, and do a crappy job, thus earning you nothing.
    Hey check out my arcade sites!
    Ninja Games | WW2 Games

Considering recent discussion these threads do not belong into Games board. Moved.

OK I get it! I make a crap games and I get crap money... but lets just say :
    I make 2 decent games every month and sell them for 1000 each ( lucky bastard!!!) - that makes 24k a year.
    so you just advertised a 70k+ a year? Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by didinko
    OK I get it! I make a crap games and I get crap money... but lets just say :
    I make 2 decent games every month and sell them for 1000 each ( lucky bastard!!!) - that makes 24k a year.
    so you just advertised a 70k+ a year? Well done!
    Well it depends on how much time you spend making those games... If you've worked on them full-time, then yeah I guess that's not really a great amount of money, but if you have a full-time job too and those were done in your spare time, then an extra 24k a year would be a nice bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Schfifty Five
    Well it depends on how much time you spend making those games... If you've worked on them full-time, then yeah I guess that's not really a great amount of money, but if you have a full-time job too and those were done in your spare time, then an extra 24k a year would be a nice bonus.
    So that would be a primary full-time job + another full time job in your spare time? I admire your discipline Schfifty!

On topic:
    Designing and Developing flash games=crap money+ wasted time!
    Seems you're not doing it for just the money as you're not saying: Designing and Developing flash games=crap money = wasted time. So I geuss you're not enjoying it And you think it's paying crap...

Really why DO you even bother posting then? Now that would be the biggest waste of your time.

So much for being a smartass, I'm off!

Money or crap money or no money I like to develop games.
    <signature removed by admin>

"I make 2 decent games every month and sell them for 1000 each "

I don't think it's possible to make 2 decent games a month, one a month would be nearer the mark.
    In saying that, if you only expect 1000 ( $ ? ) each then they're not going to need to be all that so it could be possible.

Squize.

If you make games, what is your motivation in doing so?

So, it seems that your motivation in making games is just to see users playing it and most of all having fun with them.And you feel good because you know that the effort you put in making it was worth, even if it was only for another person to have fun for few minutes....it's alright if it's for fun.

But if you want to make some money you'd better start working in a restaurant

But if you want to make some money you'd better start working in a restaurant
    How unfortunate!
    <signature removed by admin>