A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Disc] What games inspire you? (Image Heavy)

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar

[Disc] What games inspire you? (Image Heavy)

Another picture based discussion thread (can never have enough).

Post screens of a game or games (not your own ) that inspire you. Could be a game that got you interested in making your own games, or just games that give you ideas/make you think.

I don’t really know how successful this thread will be, because people probably don’t often take note of the games that inspire them most, but it’s worth a shot.

I’ll start the ball rolling. I have a whole folder of weird/experimental games that give me inspiration, but here are a few choice picks .

Clean Asia by Cactus

Cactus rocks, what more can I say .

FlapFlapFlap by Lackey

I loved this little game, the style, the gameplay, everything. Just plain fun.

Exception by i-saint

I really liked the combination of bland grey primitives, and sweet explosions in this.

Gunroar by Kenta Cho

Another one that doesn't need much explanation. Kenta Cho is pure inspiration.

All mine are indie games, but yours don’t have to be. Your turn .

Ali

vector (patapon);[img]

can't get better real time texture than this (the settlers) go see the trailer, just awesome;

the new cute (little big planet);

absolutely anything by daydream;
    Last edited by BlinkOk; 01-07-2008 at 08:06 PM.
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

If I were to post two unreleased commercial games here, it would be patapon and LBP .

Ali

I like simple and effective, but stylish:
    for instance:
    resp. Tonypa, Nekogames, Metanet, Doomrl, Cactus, Keith Peters, Gamedesign, Linley Henzell, Messhof.

Orange Box has made me want to make mp games ( TF2 is the best mp game I've ever played ).

Uridium

I will code this in Flash.

Paradroid

By the same author as Uridium. Looks like death, plays like heaven.

Commando

Just 'cause it is.

Geometry Wars

New school old school.

Continental Circus

The first Pole Position clone I ever saw where the other cars crashed. The 3D was fantastic too.

I should stop now as there are dozens and dozens more games ( From Rainbow Islands to ShadowFire to R-Type to Mr.Do! ).

Squize.

walnoot, I knew you would have some nice picks . I considered posting N, Garden of Coloured Lights and Flywrench myself.

Some nice choices by others too. I must say that I find it hard to be inspired by 3D games. I don't know if its just that I don't make 3D games and therefore don't relate to them, or if there is just some magic lacking in them for me. I still enjoy playing some of them, but I don't play a 3D game and start getting ideas of things I could implement in my own games.

Ali

I think it's cause 3D games are a world away from what we're all doing.

It must be fair to say we all have a Halo or HL2 dream, but being realistic we know it's not going to happen.

As a slight rant, this is what kills me about all the talk about 3D Flash games. Apart from very basic stuff it's going to be a nightmare, a ton of new skills to learn, and people seem to be under the impression that 'cause it'll be in 3D it'll look good. If you're using gradients in your 2D games how do you think for a second that you're going to be able to make good looking low poly objects ?

If anyone looks at some of the indy games that use an open source or cheap 3D engine, they look pretty poor for the most part. The benchmark is Assassins Creed or Halo 3 or PGR4 or whatever, and no little team is going to come close when it comes to making a hyper-real game ( Something abstract or very stylised is of course possible ).

Whereas even in Flash if you work with a great artist you can make something that looks as good as a DS game.

Rant over, back to the inspiration

Squize.

Here's five particularly good metroidvanias (or at least platformers) that has
    made me want to make that epic platformer for quite some time now.... Someday, someday...

Super Metroid
    This is just THE perfect game for me. The atmosphere is fantastic, I
    still get a chill by just looking at the title screen and listening to the music.

Cave Story
    It was only a matter of time

Lyle in cube sector

Akuji the demon
    This game is perhaps not as unique as some of the others, but it's very very polished. A bit too easy though.

Knytt
    The screenshot is actually from Knytt Stories (which wasn't as good)

N and Flywrench are two games that easily makes my list as well. : )
    // Mazapán, my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Kianis
    Knytt
    The screenshot is actually from Knytt Stories (which wasn't as good)
    Thank you so much for posting this! I fell in love with this game a few years back, but then removed it from my HD and could not recall the name.

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    Helmsman, I've already bought, played, beat, and returned Crysis. Save your time. As someone who's played a TON of fps', I can honestly say I was unimpressed. Just another fps imo, unless you'd care to elaborate specifically what inspires you about Crysis?
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

@Blink:

Patapon is pure inspiration... Incredibly well and fun built!! I cant stop watching youtube trailers!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=l8FCEVF1KY8

SUPER!!

SMAA~SH!

BROTHERS!!!

http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by ImprisonedPride
    Helmsman, I've already bought, played, beat, and returned Crysis. Save your time. As someone who's played a TON of fps', I can honestly say I was unimpressed. Just another fps imo, unless you'd care to elaborate specifically what inspires you about Crysis?
    I finished Crysis too. Actually the reason why I've posted Crysis here was that I never saw a game which looks so realistic in representing almost real world environment.

You have a huge open spaces, a thousands ways to acomplish your mission and it looks so real! Actually in every level you're free to finish it as you like and to choose your way where to move and what to do.

Now, the Orange box is a set of games I'm playing now, and I think some of them (like Episode I and original Half-Life 2) I'm going to re-play in the near future (as soon as I'll finish the new titles comes with the bundle).

The original Half-Life (IMHO) still unbeatable as great sample how to make a plot. The only one competitor in this can be Thief series and Max Payne (1st and 2nd).
    Quote Originally Posted by Squize
    Orange Box has made me want to make mp games ( TF2 is the best mp game I've ever played ).
    Now regarding the new titles comes with the bundle, here I completely agree with Squize: Team Fortress II is a best multiplayer game I've ever played! Portal is a really good example of how to take a fresh game IDEA and make a perfect implementation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squize
    I think it's cause 3D games are a world away from what we're all doing.
    As I mentioned before the only reason why I posted these titles here was because I was inspired by simple things, like a game story, non-linear walkthrough or amazing multiplayer which can be done in Flash games also. I have very limited knowledge in 3D and totally have no idea how to code in Direct X or Open GL, but every time when I playing a big PC title I ask myself what can be done in Flash and what not.

Regarding Flash games I really like Death in Sakkara (as far as I can remember it's your title Squize?) Obviously there are no any good enough RPG, Stealth or 3D action game made with Flash. I hope the time for them will come with the next version of Flash player.

Thanks mate, yeah DiS is my baby.

The comment about 3D wasn't 'cause of the games you picked mate, it was more a reply to alillm's comment about not getting any inspiration from 3D games.
    I would kill to be a creative director on titles like that, but it's never going to happen and there's more than enough Flash games to do

Patapon looks better every time I see it.

Squize.

To be honest, I wouldn't want to work on the usual major 3D games, or make the next halo (well ok, from a financial view point I would, but that’s a different discussion).

I would love to make the next Rez, or something like that, but I create games to express my ideas and create new experiences, not to churn out FPS games that are guaranteed to be purchased by just about everyone, but don't do anything that I could really be proud to have designed.

I'm not saying that all modern 3D games are bad, in fact I enjoy playing some of them, I just don't really aspire to working on them. To me that’s just a major step up in production quality, but a major step down in creativeness/creative freedom, so not all that appealing really.

Ali

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    Ali, you mean you wouldn't be proud if your name was stamped in the credits on Halo 1? Come on, for at least a second, that was millions of coders' dream.

Helmsman, I will agree with you there. I actually found a game my pc couldn't push full blast. The levels were huge, but I was expecting upgrades for the suit (less cost for using the powers).
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    Fire Pro series:

Guilty Gear series:

Street Fighter series:

Odin Sphere

Wario Ware

Games like Chu-chu Rocket, Puyo Puyo, Neo Geo fight games...etc...etc..I just realized there are WAY too many to list... -_-
    Last edited by WilloughbyJackson; 01-08-2008 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ImprisonedPride
    Ali, you mean you wouldn't be proud if your name was stamped in the credits on Halo 1? Come on, for at least a second, that was millions of coders' dream.
    I can't say I really would be. I mean I would be proud in the sense that my name was associated with a popular well received game, it would certainly be something to brag about if I enjoyed bragging, but I wouldn't be proud in the sense that I could say it was a game I put everything into, to make it a personal achievement.

If I had the choice of working on a game like halo, that would bring me lots of guaranteed fame, or a game where I could do whatever I liked to make a unique, although not as well received experience, I would go for choice B without a thought (assuming that money isn't an issue for me).

In the end it just comes down to personal tastes though really. If you are the worlds number 1 halo fan then of course you would love to work on a game like it. If however, like me, you prefer more unique, even bizarre games, then halo would be far from your dream project.

Ali

Animal Lover, Flash lover eaglevision's Avatar
    Right now would be the one that inspired me to make RPG's-strategy-adventure games

Here is the link:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/253819

Its called Zelda: lampshade

I did not like the graveyard part, but it was ok, other than that...
    ~11-year old flasher