A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Ultrakillz - multiplayer fps

[Beta] Ultrakillz - multiplayer 3D fps

Hi guys - our new game is in beta but if you want an invite code PM me with your email address and i'll see you in there for a match. You can see the teaser video on the homepage... www.ultrakillz.com

Your feedback + suggestions would be really appreciated.
    Thanks
    B
    Last edited by barrax; 01-12-2008 at 06:28 PM.

...wow...o.o

It does look very nice and fun. Probably a very stupid question, but I didn't see any rotation on the camera, is it possible to turn? or is it just always front on?
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

It's always front on, I think thats because of the inherent aiming problem with flash and the inability to move the mouse position, without keeping it face on, you'd be running the mouse off the screen all the time.
    Christopher Rhodes
    squarecircleco.

thats right iopred. I have implemented some camera rotation in an earlier version but it caused more confusion for the user than fun. Im not going to completely dismiss it though. I think theres a possible comprimise which im working on.

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    ---- That looks amazing. Didn't play it, but the video does do it great justice if it plays as real-time as the video shows. Excellent work.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

Barrax, some PC-FPS's usea kind of aimer and the further the mouse if away from the aimer then that is the direction it takes. IMO it aint a FPS without rotation.
    But nice job though, pushing the boundaries of flash I see!
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

Quote Originally Posted by tidenburg
    Barrax, some PC-FPS's usea kind of aimer and the further the mouse if away from the aimer then that is the direction it takes.
    hmm not sure i follow that - any exmpales spring to mind? I'd like to improve this project anyway i can so it would definately help to see it in action.

Quote Originally Posted by tidenburg
    IMO it aint a FPS without rotation.
    Cool - is this a new game genre then? Has anyone invented FFPS (Fixed First Person) Shooter yet?

Always interested in opinions so keep em coming

Check out the sniper rifle in Splinter Cell Chaos Theory if you've ever played it. The cursor moves using the mouse and the camera rotates when it reaches a certain distance away from the center of the screen.

In your version the actual aimer itself could stay central but when the mouse reaches a certain distance from it the camera rotates.
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

Yeah i know what you mean (re: splinter cell). Problem is as you move the mouse during the frantic gameplay.... the aiming would accelerate as you reach the edges of the stage causing the player to over-compensate their actions.

The audience for this game isn't just hardcore FPS players - there could possibly be casual gamers that are new to FPS. I think the balance is ok for a quick blast at lunchtimes at the office without having to get bogged down with a learning curve.

That sounds like a technical cop-out, but the truth is that the code for head rotation is in there (although id have to resize some of the assets in the background) and its been tested a couple of times, it felt wrong in this context.

If i could screenwrap the mouse position id put it back in without hesitation.

Camera tilt on the over hand - that could work

Cheers
    B

"keep me logged in" doesnt work
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

That sounds like a technical cop-out,
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's more important to have a good looking playable game, then to turn it into another 3d or pseudo 3D demo.

Your biggest problem will be latency. Unlike turn based games like this has to be accurate, and as real time as possible, otherwise there won't be much point to it ( as far as multiplayer gaming goes ).

Then if that works, you can try adding the rest, but just getting the above part right should be enough for a fun game ( assuming the game itself looks good and plays as expected ).

The great thing about the game is latency doesn't seem to be that much of an issue, I played Barrax (in England, I'm in Australia) and even though my ping was over 200 it plays great.
    Christopher Rhodes
    squarecircleco.

Just played it. It's great.

You could have rotation and require fullscreen. Flash 9 has fullscreen support.
    K2xL - My games, tutorials, message boards, and experiments.
    Blog