dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Using FLV in ActionScript2

Using FLV in ActionScript2

Hi. I recently made a simple site in which I had an FLV play, and when importing that Flash CS3 required that I use ActionScript 3, so I had to build the page that way. I don't know AS3, so I made the site/page very simple.

My issue now is that on a site previously built using AS2, I need to add video but don't understand how to get it in there without it requiring me to write code in AS3. can it be done?

i am on a Mac and using Flash CS3.

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!
    Lori

Absolutely. Just make sure your Publish Settings are set to Actionscript 2 before you import the video.

Hi rdoyle720. thanks for the reply.

when i try to do that, it will only allow me to choose AS2 if i've got an FLV in there.

could it be that i need to create the FLV differently?

I don't understand what you mean. Flash needs FLV files to play video, but if the file you choose isn't a .flv, it will convert it for you.

I open Flash. I choose Actionscript 2 in Publish Settings. I choose File>Import and choose a movie file. Now I have a movie file on stage with controls. Done.

What are you trying to do that isn't working?

hi again. this project was on hold for a bit. I am back and still trying to figure this out. i see that my site is built using ActionScript 1 (not 2). still, when i try to Import the FLV, it goes through the process but nothing happens. nothing appears on the stage. If i open the document that where i used AC3, it works.

as mentioned, i can't rebuild the entire site in AC3. just need to know why i can't seem to get the FLV to import, and appear somewhere.

THANKS again, for your help.

hi again. this project was on hold for a bit. I am back and still trying to figure this out. i see that my site is built using ActionScript 1 (not 2). still, when i try to Import the FLV, it goes through the process but nothing happens. nothing appears on the stage. If i open the document that where i used AC3, it works.

as mentioned, i can't rebuild the entire site in AC3. just need to know why i can't seem to get the FLV to import, and appear somewhere.

THANKS again, for your help.

New Info:
    I switched the Publish Settings to ActionScript 2 and now the video will only appear in Flash. it tests in Flash, and in Publish Preview just fine BUT will not appear on the actual site. all the appropriate files are uploaded and it remains a mystery why it doesn't appear. everything else in that .swf shows up.

ugh.

If you're absolutely positive that you've uploaded all your files (typically there's a .swf, .html, .js, another .swf for controls if you used them, and a .flv), then your server might not be set up correctly to handle .flv files. I believe it's some sort of mime type issue, a search of the forums should provide the answer.