dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Embed(parameters)] in Flash?

[Embed(parameters)] in Flash?

I know, this might be the most stupid question, but I really don't know if this is reserved to Flex or is available in the Flash CS3 compiler too.

Can I embed stuff in AS3 in Flash?

I develop in OO fashion, but I do not do components. I just stick to classes.
    What I wanted to know is how to skin a class with graphical symbols.

My specific case is about developing a player (not a video player, but a multimedia player, for video, swf and audio files). Working in a similar way to the FLVPlayback component, but at less than 10KB, designed following the factory model pattern for the actual players for each media.

I'm now stuck with the video controls, for which I want to be able to define an external asset (which would be a movieclip containing all the controls).

Is this possible?
    Altruism does not exist. Sustainability must be made profitable.

Well ok so apparently my question is too stupid to be replied to...

In the meantime I found a good solution for my case, here: http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/9.0/...=00000217.html

This enables for an external library of graphics (which can carry their own intelligence, in the form of each Symbol/Class definition AS file).

It sucks that such library must be handled in an asynchronous manner (because it is not embedded, but rather loaded at runtime, which can be a pain in the neck.... you just have to plan the preloading accordingly.

This works perfectly for me! In fact, when importing the assets (with their custom classes), you actually get instances of such custom classes, which means you can access custom methods embedded in your library symbols! Cool.
    Altruism does not exist. Sustainability must be made profitable.

Will moderate for beer
    Your question wasn't too stupid to be replied to, but you only gave it 2 hours on a Saturday morning.

Anyway, isn't the library the equivalent of the embed syntax? I use FlashDevelop, so the embed tag works for me, but loading stuff at runtime would too. I guess it just depends on whether you need a single swf published.