A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Spring Rain

Spring Rain

Here's some procedural art for you all: Spring Rain

All coded in AS2. Background, plants, all procedurally generated and different every time.

I call it an Environment Sketch. It's an attempt to share an appreciation of a little part of my environment in a way that a simple photograph wouldn't be able to convey. It would be awesome to see more people start to make this sort of stuff, something in between an animation and a game.

Let me know if you like the idea.

I know how to spell addicted netadict's Avatar
    I love the idea but it looks a bit mechanical to me, it needs to look less computerized for it to look "natural"
    One blurred photo is a mistake, 10 blurred photos are an experiment,
    100 blurred photos is a style

Yes, that's also my main problem with it, that the plants look too artificial and uniform. I'd like to figure out a way to make it more natural, maybe with some controlled randomness using a bunch of layered shapes and bitmaps like a painting. I'll be working on that in the future.

If you have any ideas for how to make it more natural, I'd be glad to hear them.

well... since growth can be described as fractals. It really shows in seashells and sunflowers. So to make it look more natural, your leaves have to be build up by a fractal, maybe even your brances. I do reckon this is a bit off of what Flash can handle, as it would mean a lot of vectors to manipulate when a raindrop hits. The generation would also take just a bit longer, as you would have to complete more growth cycles as you do now.

I like this idea, this is taking fractal art a bit further and actually going outside of just abstract shapes.