A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [DEMO] Spring Rain

[DEMO] Spring Rain

I just posted about this in the Art forum, but I thought it might be of interest to those doing Flash physics as well.

Spring Rain

It's what I call an Environment Sketch, which is just a simple procedural scene that's meant to convey the feel of some piece of a place. The plants are simulated with a Verlet physics engine, with randomly generated ragdoll structures.

I think it's a cool example of what you can do with physics besides making ragdolls and blocks. I'd encourage anyone else who's interested to try making these sorts of dynamic sketches with their physics programming skills.

Hey,

That's great - looks really good. Nice to see some thing more artistic here... What kind of algorithm did you use to generate the branches? You mention random but there seems to be some pattern...

Oh, well there are functions for adding stem segments, branch segments, leaves, and curly bits to an existing structure, and I just sort of do them in a certain order to get the overall shape of a single plant. Within each function there is a lot of randomness in terms of how long the structural springs are and where the ragdoll nodes are placed, but the overall shape is definitely very clearly defined. Thanks for asking.

terribly slow here...
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2