A Flash Developer Resource Site

View Poll Results: do you use or have access to 3dsmax (preferably R7+, but R5 might do as well)

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes use 3dsmax

10 27.78%
  • dont use it much or at all but have it

6 16.67%
  • not at all

20 55.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quick poll, do you use 3dsmax...

Student

quick poll, do you use 3dsmax...

just a quickpoll if people writing and reading here use 3dsmax or have access to it. The reason I ask this because I might write some Maxscript and 3dsmax focused threads here that will help for game development.

I am thinking of things like sprite rendering, object im/export via maxscript (parse your own xml files for flash from 3dsmax objects like splines, polys, helper objects, camera positions ect.), writing usefull functions to simplify standard setups [e.g isometric camera setup from multiple angles,...].
    But perhaps also some intro stuff like how to handle 3d stuff from max to get it into flash (realtime, rendered,ect.)- and what UVW coordinates are for example and how you can use them in FLash.

At some point I see FK drowning lately thought some fresh air would be good, but before I prepare some stuff I wanted to know if this is the right audience.
    Been digging with maxscript lately alot and digging deeper and deeper into max also in combination with flash.

Still using PovRay here, I love being able to script every single aspect, though I really should try out some other progs. I would love to see some examples, it would give me a reason to try 3dsmax!

You're really having a hard time with FK lately eh? Get used to it, it happens to all of us every now and then. It won't help if you keep complaining.

I voted no, I once made a sphere just to toy with it, but that's as far as I went.

Hell... with frequent access to heaven ;)
    No, sorry I use blender instead. Im no expert in it either, but it gets the job done

Anyway, I think is a great idea if the integration is seamless I may break an old copy of it around here in the office (is not the latest max but we bought version 3 I think)

Also I could provide some help into turning that into python scripts for blender. Like I said Im no expert but Im curious on tinkering on models for flash (specially after seing the latest papervision and related projects demos)
    Last edited by AzraelKans; 01-22-2008 at 12:08 PM.

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    I would love to use it to make some good models and such, but it's so friggin complex even with in-depth tutorials I failed miserably. I have used it, but not much.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

Agreed with IP. Its just far to hard to use for me to be assed to learn it. Wanna make some tutorials for us render?
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

Own a fully paid legal copy, but do not use it for Flash!

Hell... with frequent access to heaven ;)
    Im curious, how many people here use blender?

If you dont.. you should. Is not the best to create characters, but you can make a lot of items and scenery with it.

Student
    well blender is free, has a great community and very powerfull animation tools.
    I use it often for texture baking and some specific UV stuff. The built compositing capabilities are impressive too. Been using some custom python scripts but written anything with it yet. But perhaps some stuff can be ported to blender as well.

Alternativly there is also Gmax (free 3dsmax version with limited abilities) but it´s not 100% compatible with maxscript- so not everything might work so well.

voted no I like t draw games.. 3d is for me other league !

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    I also have a bit of experience with blender, but not max, way too expensive for a hobbyist like me. Flash is my limit when it comes to buying software. Still, some tutorials would probably be helpful to some, and depending on how specific you made them, they may help people outside the flash community too.

Ali

Student
    max is expensive yes, and I myself can´t afford it (poor student) but the university has a copy and most companies I worked for have it where I can use it if I need to.
    It´s just that 3dsmax is the most standard package in the games industry hence the reason I started this poll. It has great im/ export and extend ablilities - wich is what I would focus on.

I downloaded the trial, and I think any tutorial-type-things you could write would be awesome
    Even if you can just refer me to some good tutorials elsewhere, that'd be great too. So far my knowledge is pretty basic, i.e. how to zoom, pan, rotate the camera, transform objects, create objects, and make simple models with extrude and such.

I have it at home, but don't use it at all, gotta put in many hours to learn
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

I have used it and know how to do most of the basic tasks like modeling, uv maps, textures. Haven't really found it useful with the current games I've been making with Flash though.
    I would use prerendered 3D stuff if I had the time to do them but as I'm not that good at it, it takes ages to do anything.

I didn't vote because: No max here, but a lot of 3D, so it's sort of neutral to your question.

For CG it's all XSI these days ( some of the older, 4-8 years ago, games used Lightwave, golf course for example was done in Lightwave ).

...dishing dimes on an .fla! pointguard's Avatar
    I have it...and I'm trying to learn as much as I can with it right now and creating human modesl, and trying to animate them. I have max8...is there much difference between that and version 9?

It would be great to see some tutorials from you render, they would undoubtably be top class!

Game Player - Developer scheletro's Avatar
    voted YES

I use 3D max for my pre rendered 3D graphics in games, Im not looking far from there, is a nice tool when I dont want to draw or when I want a different looking, just that

Im not interested in those 3D technologies or make a 3D enviroment, I still love those 2D games, to much things yet to experiment

"I love to make them as I love to play them"

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by scheletro
    Im not interested in those 3D technologies or make a 3D enviroment, I still love those 2D games, to much things yet to experiment
    well there is alot between 2d and 3d,- and just because it is called 3dsmax doesn´t mean it´s used for 3d only.
    Imagine for example to be able to use the spline tool to draw 2d vectors and export them to flash- impossible with illustrator or freehand but with maxscipt easy and flexible to your needs.
    or for example particles, the animation tools or the other things that max is capable of.

and yes 3d in flash is like Web 2.0: a big hype with lots of speculations- but as I said a package like 3dsmax can do more as aiding such things.

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    Render: Yes, please get crackin on some new tutorials. I'm planning to brush up some 3d skills and experiment with Papervision and whatnot. You brought up some interesting ideas about XML and camera positions that I haven't even thought of yet. Would be interesting to get an idea of the possibilities, even to just discuss what's possible.