A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [WIP] Pinball Racer

Threaded View

[WIP] Pinball Racer

Got a new project in the works and thought I would share some early eye candy results. It's basically a mode7 racer with a pinball theme (proposal). The development team is 4 people (not all programmers - so hooray for some non-programmer art). The total development time is limited to 10 weeks, we're about 3 weeks in. Unlike most of the junk I do, this one will actually be finished because it's a course project. (Not for me, but for my teammates - I'm just auditing).

Here's a demo of our renderer applied to a stock level from mario kart, with a little extra pinball stuff tacked on.

I've also been working on a neat content creation tool, "ScannerProgram", that automates the point and polygon extraction process, so our artists can just sketch points on top of the mode7 texture and the renderer can yank it all out without them ever having to touch a keyboard. They got real excited about level design once they saw how easy it was to rip a texture into polygonal map geometry. You can see how this program works in the full source.

Quite a bit of physics/gameplay code has been thrashed out by other team members, but we've yet to merge the display code and world state code, so the renderer doesn't show anything but static geometry.

More to come later. Maybe I can get some of the other team members to blog a bit about their contributions here. (don't think any of them are FK'ers or lurkers though)
    Last edited by rachil0; 01-23-2008 at 01:35 PM.