A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Rampage Clone

[WIP] Rampage Clone

for work

just an early beta, just some machine guys and grenade guys and no actual proper graphics yet (just ripped ones) the actual game will be for AVP2 DVD, so expect to be a giant alien or predator roaming around the streets causing havok. Also, heaps of things to destroy and people to squish in the final version.

Anyway, have fun and tell me any bugs if you find em

thanks

http://soap.com.au/chris/rampage

control - punch
    shift - jump
    arrow keys - move
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Now tell me whos watchin...... samvillian's Avatar
    umm i like it, and a bug report: when you are running left or right and you jump repetitively (shift), it goes to sticky keys. The thing is when you get out of the sticky keys, the gorilla just keeps going left, even if you push right, when you let go, it goes left again. This is kinda rare and shouldn't even be considered a bug, but its all i found lol.

somehow I doubt flash will be able to detect sticky keys. I can however change the control scheme.

anyway, thanks

Professional Air Guitarist Frag's Avatar
    Brain, Body, Clothes, Computer Chair, Room, House, Neighborhood, City, State, Country, Continent, World, Galaxy, Universe, and on?
    I noticed a similar "bug." If you hop on the side of a building, hold down the punch button, press then let go of up, then let go of punch, you will start climbing while no keys are pressed. I just played with it again and this is the case for all directions. Also, it's probably just my preference but I'd like to be able to move around a little more quickly like Rampage: World Tour http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoFDdmD2T6k

Good work so far!

hmm, can you explain that climbing bug a little more Frag, I'm trying to re-create it but it just isn't happening.

Oh and as to the speed, this is based off the Arcade version, but yeah, probably would add to the mayhem sprinting around the place

yeah i couldnt find the bug neither, maybe its his web browser?????????

oooh find a cool bug. its pretty awesome. it looks like hes driving an invisible motorcycle. go on the far right and jump left while holding left and punch... then just hold punch and he will fly across the road lol...
    Last edited by samvillian; 01-30-2008 at 02:55 AM.

thats a great engine there Malee, and lovely particles from the hits.

I always wanted to make a Rampage clone, I am quite jealous

chris

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    LOVE, malee...PURE LOVE!!! One of my alltime favorites! I've been dreaming of making it for mobile for a long time...but it had to be Rampage, and it had to be an ode to the original, which means lawyers driving me from home and possesions The shake when you punch and all is so nice

You finish it, I play it, deal?

*edit* I want to eat soldiers...now!
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

Student
    nice demo

Professional Air Guitarist Frag's Avatar
    Brain, Body, Clothes, Computer Chair, Room, House, Neighborhood, City, State, Country, Continent, World, Galaxy, Universe, and on?
    Weird, I tried it out in Firefox and it works fine, but Safari has some issues with the movement.

Have to come down from my perch in the sky to comment.
    Bit heavy on the screen shake and too many particles but besides that thumbs up man, that's one of the more interesting demos on FlashKit recently. People keep posting homemade 3d engines and getting a big round of applause from the folks here but this is more exciting.

Great!

What a fantastic game to get to port.

I love the over the top particles and screen shake ( Sorry Kris ), it just feels very frantic very quickly without all that much going on.

More please.

Squize.

Loved the original and this is excellent homage Like the smashy bits/particles. One thing that I think you could improve over the original Rampage (never thought I'd say that lol) is more variety in power ups. In Rampage, at least as I remember it, every eatable was either energy++ or energy--. I think if there were things you could eat that improved speed, improved punching power, granted monstery fire breath/acid spit/etc would be pretty cool.

I always found it hard to tell what I was eating in the original - it was always like 4x4 pixels of smudge.

It's great so far! I too had a problem when holding various keys at th esame time. I ended up walking Right by itself and could no longer jump.

Bit of advice: Make the particles of a building punch greys and other dull colors. It got real disorienting when there was RED building particles, RED blood particles, and then RED dynamite. :-/ Oh and orange bullets. :-P

cool, thanks for the great feedback people

phreax - the munching will come soon

EvilKris, Render - thankyou

Squize - yeah I like the particles too, maybe I'll stop them shooting out so much when you punch the building. I'm very pleased with how the blood turned out.

rachil0 - great ideas, I'll pass them on, I like the idea of a rampage mode. Oh and the plan right now is to give the predator and alien some special powers (shoulder cannon and acid spit)

RayBeez, Frag - yeah, I'm to blame for the key problem, wmode

oh and RayBeez, all the building's graphics will be changing to be realistic looking, so the particles will be fragments of them. No more purple and pink buildings

thanks everyone for the comments

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    Great work Mr. M . I also love the crazy shake and particles. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Ali

[EDIT]

Also, it's nice to see a decent thread here. This place has been deserted for the last couple of weeks with the same tired threads staying at the top.
    Last edited by alillm; 01-30-2008 at 07:04 PM.

Tried it again in a proper browser (IE) and I have one suggestion (humor me): Try setting the gravity higher or the particle speed. They look fantastic, but they should move and drop to the ground about twice as fast.
    ;-)

ray - check it again

also, a small update, added tanks and flames out the window, also spent most of the day setting up a interface (first one in AS3 )

next, tanks will be destructible, better smoke on the shells, and destructible buildings (hopefully tomorrow)

http://soap.com.au/chris/rampage

also, does everyone get 40fps? I'm gonna keep wmode on for now, cause I know it drops 10fps without it. I dont loose a frame over here

if you push shift and ctrl at the same time, it goes by it self all the way across the screen... you have to hold em
    and i am getting 40 fps

ah, well spotted samvillian, thanks