A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [WIP] Rampage Clone

you're right all objects fall at the same speed. you trow a brick and a marble and both hit the floor at the same time.

but it's a game even the overzized monkeys take their time falling (:P)

maybe the universe has changed in 400 years, you know, expanding and contracting and stuff.

but maybe I'll see what it looks like.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Now tell me whos watchin...... samvillian's Avatar
    well you could just say there is wind blowing from the bottom up... which would make the blood slower lol.

thats just silly, the laws of physics changing over 400 years makes more sense

Now tell me whos watchin...... samvillian's Avatar
    i apologize for my silliness. I can't believe i made such a stupid comment. It's so clear to me now.
    Thanks for bursting my bubble. *cries a little inside*

Knows where you live
    Quote Originally Posted by Never_land:(
    you're right all objects fall at the same speed. you trow a brick and a marble and both hit the floor at the same time.

but it's a game even the overzized monkeys take their time falling (:P)
    In a vacuum all objects fall at the same speed.
    Clearly a feather takes longer to fall than a brick because of the greater surface (drag coefficient?) to mass. Just try dropping a quarter and a sheet of paper.

In this case blood would fall slower than the heavy particles since they are both less dense, and less aerodynamic, however IMO its all about what looks the best.
    Last edited by 691175002; 02-06-2008 at 11:29 PM.
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
    - Walter Bagehot
    The height of cleverness is to be able to conceal it.
    - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

yah, I was kinda right

Quote Originally Posted by 691175002
    In a vacuum all objects fall at the same speed.
    Clearly a feather takes longer to fall than a brick because of the greater surface (drag coefficient?) to mass. Just try dropping a quarter and a sheet of paper.

In this case blood would fall slower than the heavy particles since they are both less dense, and less aerodynamic, however IMO its all about what looks the best.
    you're right... 691175002 (if that's your real name)

9.81 m/s²(32.2 ft/s²) that's the gravity speed you need to manage.

now if you manage rain drops or other water elements it's
    Vt = 90* Math.sqrt(d), for a rain drop (d~0.01 m) vt ~9 m/s
    a rain drop must be similar to a blood drop imo

Edit: I used this formula once in an engine I managed blood
    Last edited by Never_land:(; 02-07-2008 at 01:04 AM.

ok, promise this is the last time i'll resurrect this one, next time it'll go in games of the week

but I really need another performance test from you good people

http://soap.com.au/games/avpr

memory and fps are reported now, hopefully it should never go above 80mb, and I think the GC is working correctly, haven't really tested it out to buggery yet though.

things to note in this version:

- most sounds will change (copyright) there just there as a guide so I could show the client what to (hopefully ) expect.

- some of the character frames are really dodgy right now, wrong colors, wrong pose, wrong size. This will all change next week sometime.

- you can't finish a level yet, but you can commit suicide (Control key) to see what happens.

- gameover, highscores don't fully work yet either.

- filesize is too big right now, will fix that next week. I've been too lazy to do it.

anyway, I thinks thats it. I have found a very big bug with one of the player versions. I think it was 9.0.64, the one that ran really well in the browser. Well if you have that player and run it in firefox, you're character will stop moving at random times and the game will freeze, and there is also a weird buzzing noise with the helicopters. Far as I can tell, the latest version works, but I could be wrong.

blah blah blah, have fun

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    You need to speed up the walk animation to fit the move pace. I also feel the game is a bit slow. Everything ought to move just a little bit faster.
    Still a fun game, though
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

yeah I know what you mean, I thought I should stick close to the original version, but it seems like a different game now, so yeah, on Monday that will be my plan

THAT plays so well it hurts. More fps though please.

This is awesome. Rampage is one of my favorites, and I think you've captured its spirit nicely. I look forward to this.

It performs quite well on my gaming PC and my MacBook Pro. Never below 25fps except when a very tall skyscraper fell (reported 20fps on MBP, but was noticeably slow).

I realize this is just a performance test, but how closely are you going to copy the original Rampage?

In the original, attacking while moving up or down a building damaged the edges of the building. In your current version, it's difficult to destroy buildings.

Also, I wanted to eat the people in the buildings. That's the best part of Rampage.

EvilKris - thanks, did it run slow?

Taels - you should be able to eat the people in the buildings, and smash them also when climbing down, the problem is with the graphics. I didn't create them, some other guys have (not in house) and they've got it wrong, hopefully we'll receive the amended graphics next week. But yes, eating and smashing buildings will be in, I'll make sure of that one

I'm gonna tone down some of the collapsing gfx, its really a resource hogger, unless I can somehow bitmapData it up

Hey Malee, as I just posted to Squize in the Loved Up thread, my jaw dropped, when I finally realized the difference in performance between FF and IE! The game was perfect in IE, no questions asked! So as I also asked squize, do you just rely on the Flash framerate or a time-based system?

frame rate

never done a time based game before.
    Last edited by mr_malee; 02-16-2008 at 09:55 AM.

Well, I'm really not talking about a big step. If you use one global enterframe function to control the game, this is what I mean in pseudocode:

Code:
    timenow = currentTimeInMilliseconds;
    interval = timenow - lastTime;
    if(interval > myInterval){
       do the enterframe stuff
       lastTime = timenow;
    }
    This way, you just set the framerate a bit higher and let the timer take care of the intervals. That means it plays the same in all browsers...well, unless we're talking about a cpu intensive game.
    I am not calling this the best solution in the world, but from what I've seen in difference between IE and FF I'd call it necessary!
    *edit* just wanted to add, that I use this in all games, and it works. It was a necessary workaround for mobilephones to support the different devices!
    Last edited by phreax; 02-16-2008 at 10:28 AM.