A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Computer vs. Flash

Computer vs. Flash

I have a flash movie that is loading external movies into it when buttons are pressed. I figured this way it will load faster.

However, I've noticed that on some computers the external movies run rather slow and on other computers they run normal speed.

My question: is this something that has to do with individual computers and there is really nothing I can do about it? I've messed with the frame rate and such but it doesn't do a whole lot.

trace("AKA: Biro Barna");
    Speed has to do with computer configuration. On a weaker PC, things won't run as expected.

| Windows MSN: birobarna [at] hotmail [dot] com | Skype: barna.biro |
    WebLog: http://blog.wisebisoft.com/ |
    | Software Developer / Flash & Flex Developer | Student ( Computer Science ) | Interested in: Sharing Knowledge |
    |
    Romanian Adobe Flash, Flex, AIR Forum: http://www.flashforum.ro/
    | By perseverance the snail reached the ark. |

Vaster Graphics
    Hey,

Are you unloading movies as others load in? You could be stacking movies and not even know it. Make sure you swapDepths and unloadMovies. Also, if there movie clips make sure you have a preloader.

good luck : )

Quote Originally Posted by steveffg
    Hey,

Are you unloading movies as others load in? You could be stacking movies and not even know it. Make sure you swapDepths and unloadMovies. Also, if there movie clips make sure you have a preloader.

good luck : )

ahh...unloadMovie. It makes sense but I'm not sure how to apply it to my movie.
    What I have is a list of names that, when one is clicked, plays a corresponding external movieclip (which loads in an empty mc.)

My first attempt was:
    Code:
    var newclip = new Object();
    newclip.onRelease = function (evt:Object){
    	target_mc.unloadMovie();
    }
    However, this has failed.

Vaster Graphics
    Hey, I don't know how your calling the movies in but here is what I do for loading in a movie Clip (an .swf or .jpg)

loadMovie("example.swf", _root.Holder_mc);
    _root.Holder_mc.swapDepths(_root.Holder_mc.getNext HighestDepth());

This will help stack different movie clips and keep the newest on top. Then at the end of the movie clip you've loaded put

unloadMovie("_root.Holder_mc"); or put it on the button. Just be careful. I have a different "Holder_mc" for each object I'm loading in. If you use the same "Holder_mc" target what was loaded.

Hope that helps.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks for your help!