A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: os x on my thinkpad

os x on my thinkpad

I know it's not legal, due to the eula, but I just want to know if it can be done. I haven't found any current info. Mainly, will I loss any functionality and performance if I can pull this off? And just in case somebody asks, I know I should have bought a mac, but it's too late. I have had my thinkpad for a year, and I am not going to buy a new laptop. I hate windows, and I am a linux user when I am not using adobe products. I figured i could kill two birds with one stone with os x. Thanks in advance

The main loss of functionality will be that it wont be a windows based machine anymore, and the list of compatible apps and hardware will drop to nil,
    not just because its osx, but because its osx on hardware that it is not designed for, that is if osx can even work at all on the thinkpad hardware.

I've tested osx on different pc configurations, usually you will find that most standard hardware devices wont work because of the lack of mac compatible drivers.

Why don't you just sell your Thinkpad to me for cheap?
    I'm thinking about getting a laptop this month, and i hate the idea of that poor thinkpad being violated like that!

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. Carl Sagan

I actually thought about selling my thinkpad, but I decided it would still be too expensive to go with the mac. Plus, I really like my thinkpad, but I am tired of windows. I guess I am stuck with dreaming of the day that adobe releases a linux version of their products, ya right. I really appreciate your info. It has helped a lot.

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    For Linux there is WINE. I've never used it, but I've heard that it can get Adobe products to run. It requires some hacking around, but it can be done.

Yea, but i think they would run much much slower than on XP or OSX.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by random25
    ...and the list of compatible apps and hardware will drop to nil,
    not just because its osx, but because its osx on hardware that it is not designed for, that is if osx can even work at all on the thinkpad hardware.
    A) There are just as many apps out there for OS X as Windows.
    B) Hardware it wasn't designed for? Apple has made an Intel based version of OS X since the first OS X ever came out. In secret, of course, but this was released to the public when the beta came out for the Intel Mac's OS.
    C) It IS designed for Intel and PC hardware. What do you think all the new Macs are? A MacBook has very similar specs to my old T60. Same processor, same ram, same HD, same graphics (or similar at least).

I'm not too sure your post is that accurate, my friend.

Cheers!

A) nope, wrong: Windows Software 2569, Mac Software 174
    B) I'm talking about drivers for things like on board sound, video, lan, IDE, etc...
    C) It is designed for Intel and PC hardware, just not ALL Intel and PC hardware is supported. osx86 compatible hardware If your thinkpad hardware isn't on that list good luck finding compatible drivers.
    D) Do your own damned research next time before telling me my answer is wrong.