A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Laptop choice

Banned

Laptop choice

Hello everyone, what should be a good laptop for 3D, what are some key features the laptop should have??? Some friend had told me to go with the macbook, but I know that the macs are quite expensive, right now I am considering getting the refurbished macbook, apple store is offering a sale on the 13.3 inch macbook, so do you think that's a good choice????

Matters on what 3D app you're talking about using. On the Mac, I've not seen Maya really be "all that" good; however Cinema 4D was great. Same for Pixels3D.

Which apps will you be using? I think that's important to know.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Student
    I study multimedia design and a big part of that is handling with 3d computer Graphics (CG). Honestly hardly any one uses here a mac simply because most 3d apps dont run on it except if you use bootcamp and boot a windows installation.
    Lightwave, XSI, 3dsmax, uvLayout, zBrush, particleFlow for example dont run on it, next to that some plugins for maya, modo or other multi platform packages still require windows.

Mac at our compus is use alot however in the print and communication design area (photoshop, indesign, ilustrator,...)

i have a macbook and run maya on it. it sucks for maya. everything else runs great on it though. the graphics card isnt powerful enough. get a macbook pro if you wanna do 3d

Honestly, I'd steer clear - too many people say that the 3D on the MacBook Pro, while adequate isn't just good enough for heavy usage.
    More downtempo than Vicodin with Nyquil chasers...

Banned
    Macbooks are always good.

Great for Photoshop, not so great for 3D.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Banned
    So what should I thinking about??